Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Anybody have experience with U.S. Battery?

Looking to replace the current coach batteries with 6 volt batteries, but have very short battery box on my Born Free .

I found a 6 volt AGM 214AH rated battery made by U.S. Battery (USAGM6V27). The physical dimensions listed are practically identical to the oem Interstate 27.

Unfortunately, internet searches for reviews didn't bear fruit as to the quality/reviews of U.S. Battery

I did find a page on Trojan's website blasting U.S. Battery for false test results against the Trojan 105.

Anybody have experience with products made by U.S. Battery? If so, was it a good experience?
cheeseyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had some in a golf cart that were ok. They were flooded cells though. I replaced them with Trojans. Nothing against the USBattery brand just like the Trojans better. I have had some experience with the AGM batteries and feel they are overpriced. I've had better luck with the flooded cells in automotive and Telco applications.
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
US manufacturer who also makes Trojan Get the Real Facts on U.S. Battery | Trojan Battery Company
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post

That's the site I mentioned in my post. Some of the facts were interesting, but posted by a competitor, so I was looking for consumer experience.

But thank you.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

US Battery makes the 6v GC2 (golf cart) batteries for many private label battery brands. Last I knew, they ere the supplier for Interstate on their 6v GC2's. I would have no concerns at all about them as a manufacturer and just compare the specs of their battery vs other brands. GC2's are generally made in two different amp-hour capacities (ratings), with the lower AH rating being a bit lighter in weight (less lead) and somewhat cheaper. US Battery, Exide, East Penn and Johnson Controls make most all the batteries, regardless of the name on the side. Trojan, however, is an independent and specializes in deep cycle batteries of all types.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have them on our coach. We normally camp with hook ups, so can't comment on deep cycle. Hardly ever add water.

Dan
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
US Battery makes the 6v GC2 (golf cart) batteries for many private label battery brands. Last I knew, they ere the supplier for Interstate on their 6v GC2's. I would have no concerns at all about them as a manufacturer and just compare the specs of their battery vs other brands. GC2's are generally made in two different amp-hour capacities (ratings), with the lower AH rating being a bit lighter in weight (less lead) and somewhat cheaper. US Battery, Exide, East Penn and Johnson Controls make most all the batteries, regardless of the name on the side. Trojan, however, is an independent and specializes in deep cycle batteries of all types.

Thanks! I would buy Trojans based on reputation, but they won't fit in my tray...
Old 04-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Won't fit? All GC2 batteries are the same physical size. Trojan makes dozens of different sizes, including standard GC2 and the taller GC2H
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufficon View Post
I had some in a golf cart that were ok. They were flooded cells though. I replaced them with Trojans. Nothing against the USBattery brand just like the Trojans better. I have had some experience with the AGM batteries and feel they are overpriced. I've had better luck with the flooded cells in automotive and Telco applications.
Trojans are flooded wet cell also, did you go to AGM's to get away from flooded wet cells?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Not really. Some of the battery vendors we use really like the AGMs so we have used them in some locations. We still use wet cells in the higher amp locations. Some of the wet cells were recently replaced with new wet cells. They were about 30 years old. Of course in telco service each cell is bigger than each battery in an RV. And maintenance is regularly performed. The AGMs I have personally used have been in automotive service.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

Used US Battery US2200 GC2's for many years with no issues. Have Trojans now but honestly real world I haven't noticed any big difference. We boondock 80% of the time. My experience if you take care of them almost any wet cell works fine. Abuse them and they won't. BTW - Johnson Controls makes Interstate.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced my Interstate Flooded batteries with Lifeline AGM. I was going to buy Trojan AGM Batteries but found out that they suspended manufacturing of their AGM Batteries.: eek: I thought that all Trojan Batteries were manufactured in their plant in Georgia. But now I'm not sure.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #13

FYI, a few years ago Trojan moved away from hand welded cores. Battery Systems, who have always pushed Trojan, have been recommending US for flooded cell in place of them recently (at least to me).
mcnugget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery