Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Aww.. why'd you go and tell?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #16

re: "That's the problem, the EPA has no established guidelines" -- yeah, and that is indeed the problem. There are many thousands of such compounds and, it seems, there are folks who want to pull up one at a time and keep promulgating worry - despite no evidence of any harm or danger: It's got a chemical name and it's scary! Oh my, it's in my water! It may even kill mice if provided in strong enough dosages.

I saw a story recently about a California town that was the basis for a movie about a water contaminant causing cancer. Over the years, studies have not found that the cancer rates in that town are anything different from expected norms. This is a typical pattern. Hyperbolic FUD leading to poorly founded and expensive regulation that, after sufficient time has passed to learn what the reality really is, turns out to be a non issue. It's nice we can afford such an expensive hobby, but I'd rather avoid the panic and the extra expense.

As for filling the RV water tank - no, I don't worry as long as I am using a public water supply and take appropriate sanitary precautions such as rinsing the hose and fittings first and maintain my tank properly.

I know that there are standards that have developed from what is known about hazards (which is quite a lot); that the water today is handled in a much safer way than in times past; that it is frequently tested for compliance with standards; that there are treatments to remove suspect contaminants exceeding safe levels; that regulations change as knowledge is gained (consider the arsenic story in recent years).

And I know that living means taking risks that cannot be eliminated, just made small.

I see that the regulations for water safety are very conservative. I also note that there is a lot less illness from water contamination and that people are living much longer and much healthier lives these days. (the Haiti cholera epidemic is a contrast to consider)

I'll take what I can see and measure over somebody's FUD mongering that isn't based on more than a vivid imagination, anecdotal hyperbole, or emotional desires - especially when they want the government involved and it's going to cost me money.

BTW, did you hear that some students got nearly every delegate at the latest climate change conference to sign a petition to prohibit DHMO? Oh my, indeed. Those delegates were supposedly well educated.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #17

It is the dose that counts...

Many of the "scary" reports are based on real science, NOT GOOD science, but science none the less.

THey expose some poor animal to a controlled amount for a period of time and measure the results.

Since they have animals with short lifespans, and are wishing to see quick results the dose is usually very high.

Much higher that anyone would see in a normal life.

In some cases with water, it is the equal to drinking a train tanker car in a doy/week/month or so to get the same level of exposure.

In short, some of these have the same odds as getting hit by a buss in a town where no busses are allowed.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Yes, but minus the acid.
For those who don't know, Dihydrogen monoxide is the chemical name for water.
Ok then what about Hydrogen Hydroxide? (H0H) that is a factor in most every drowning that you read about. Seems it clogs the lungs when it is sucked in.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I'm with Barb. The article on the website says the senators were basing their request to the EPA on info that came from "a report that found the compound in the tap water of 31 cities across the country." Yet they did not link to the report for verification. Why not? I, too, would like to read the report, know who performed it & what criteria they used to perform it. So may of these "reports" are skewed by the companies or foundations that fund them. I'm extremely skeptical of agencies that do not provide information to back up their news reports.

I am, however, interested in RO systems & would like hearing more from those that have them, how they feel about them.

Lori-
Here is a link to such a system. I do not have one but would also be interested in hearing from someone who does. RV Water Filter Store: Reverse Osmosis (RO) for the Whole RV or Home

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is one that has been around for a while by our friend Oemy---Dale Olson
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #21

Nope, I don't worry.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey, I have a Diesel coach. I have enough to worry about.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Yes, but minus the acid.
For those who don't know, Dihydrogen monoxide is the chemical name for water.
Not true, the acid is there, (H+ ion) it is just off set by the base in water (OH- ion). And water standing in open air will become slightly acidic as the CO2 dissolves into it.

While Cr+6 is carcinogenic, I'm not aware that it has been shown to be a problem at the ppb level in humans. While there is a theory that one molecule (or ion) can be all that is needed, that isn't the case or we would all die very early from all of the things that we are routinely exposed to on a daily basis.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

We don't really "worry" about the quality of CG water but we only consume it in our coffee. We and our dogs drink only bottled spring water because we found that constantly changing our drinking water led to tummy problems for all of us.

We currently use a sediment filter and charcoal filter plus water softener but would be interested in upgrading to an RO system in the future.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Not true, the acid is there, (H+ ion) it is just off set by the base in water (OH- ion). And water standing in open air will become slightly acidic as the CO2 dissolves into it.

While Cr+6 is carcinogenic, I'm not aware that it has been shown to be a problem at the ppb level in humans. While there is a theory that one molecule (or ion) can be all that is needed, that isn't the case or we would all die very early from all of the things that we are routinely exposed to on a daily basis.

Barb
Yes I agree Cr+6 is naturally occurring in small amounts, some areas have more or less and no one knows what an acceptable amount of Cr+6 is. I now understand that most people replying to this thread have no concerns about Cr+6. I can accept that.
I prefer RO water over tap water. It is a personal decision I made 30 years ago, long before I knew anything about ground water contamination. All I really want to know is if it is feasible to install an RO system in an RV. Most RO membranes need 4 gallons of water to get 1 gallon of RO water. Not sure if I am willing to fill my FWT with the waste RO water and shower with it, so looking for options.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Forget the water. The brake dust and everything else that the leaf blowers are putting in your lungs WILL kill you.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #27

If I only use tap water for brushing my teeth and making coffee, am I safe? My other water usually comes in the form of beer or bottled water. I guess I need to worry about bottled water given it comes from city water.

Although well intended, some of these groups and those conducting studies are a bit too restrictive.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gil,

I'd throw that bottled water away and stick to the beer only. You can never be too safe in a situation like this.

On second thought, you might want to keep some bottled water, beer and toothpaste,....... not a good combination.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote