Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #1

Anyone consider installing a projector TV?

After looking at a number of floor plans, one of the biggest complaints on Class Cs is the TV is typically mounted above the cab, and you would get a crick in your neck when sitting on the couch. Well, one common floor plan puts the couch right across from the dinette, and the dinette has a large window with a white night roller shade. Putting two and two together, I had the bright idea that it would make perfect sense to mount a projector under the cabinet above the couch, and use the window shade as a screen. Or better yet put the projector in the cabinet with a nice window on the cabinet door (or use the projector with the door open).

So what is the flaw in my plan?
derekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
After looking at a number of floor plans, one of the biggest complaints on Class Cs is the TV is typically mounted above the cab, and you would get a crick in your neck when sitting on the couch. Well, one common floor plan puts the couch right across from the dinette, and the dinette has a large window with a white night roller shade. Putting two and two together, I had the bright idea that it would make perfect sense to mount a projector under the cabinet above the couch, and use the window shade as a screen. Or better yet put the projector in the cabinet with a nice window on the cabinet door (or use the projector with the door open).

I think the only real flaw is that it needs to be relatively dark. Projectors have come a long way but my 900 dollar Projector still can't compete with the sun.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:

Buying a class C.
Newps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #4

Things to consider:

1. Projectors can not make black. They make light and then color it. So blacks and darker colors are just the absence of light. As mentioned you need a dark room for a good picture. Any light will wash out the darker colors. Does light come through the shade?
2. Projectors have cooling fans that make noise. Mounted right above your head may be annoying. In the cabinet, maybe not so bad.
3. The best viewing is the distance from seat to the screen is 1 & 1/2 times the screen width. Bigger and you can't really see the whole picture. Smaller isn't an issue.
4. You need to find a short throw projector that can offset the picture in that short distance.

In my previous house I had a 13' screen. A good place to ask questions is The Home Theater Forum.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
How about a TV on a televator. Make room behind the dinette and have the TV raise up in front of the window. Many RV's are now using televators.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #6

I didn't think about the contrast level during the day. I'm not worried about light coming through the back of the shade, as the ones I'm thinking of are blackout. But for me any TV usage would be at night anyway (if the sun is out, I will be out most likely hiking or fishing). If it is a rainy day I'll have to make sure the blackout shades are drawn on the other windows.

Of course, since I'm not a full timer, I think my TV usage will probably be limited to laptops and tablets along with a mobile Plex server. But the "too much light" problem makes sense why manufacturers aren't including projectors by default (which I thought was an "obvious" idea, now it doesn't seem so obvious anymore).
derekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:

There have been some great considerations by others on this thread that I din't think of.

But yes I've been contemplating the same idea.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 PM   #8

Newell is offering projection systems in their coaches, but IIRC they are "laser" video projectors (laser scans a phosphor that glows like a tiny little sun...) with ridiculous amounts of output, >12,000 lumens, maybe closer to 20k. Considering the 'throw' is about 8 feet, give or take, that's a lot of light on a screen, and the screen is the window shade. For outdoor viewing, there is a rear-projection screen, too, and you watch through a big side window and get the sound from the stereo in a basement compartment. They do a similar projector (less output) in the bedroom, but it's not set up for the rear screen/outdoor viewing (kind of like forgetting to lower the night shades, it could be embarrassing).

Even with the high output projectors you'd still want to block some ambient light just to have enough contrast without scorching your retinas... but yes, projection IS possible if you're willing to pony up US$20k-30k for the projectors plus the cabinet work and ventilation, control integration, and screen/window shade options.

I think it could be done on a more reasonable budget if you're willing to do your projection viewing after dusk or have effective black out shades for day time use. The comments up-thread about fan noise are spot on. And if you put it in a cabinet with a hole for the lens, you'll need a way to vent the heat out of that compartment.

In my sticks and bricks, my home theater is about 12 x 18 feet and my 3000 lumen, conventional lamp projector will raise the temperature of the room by 1 or 2°F after about 30 minutes, and it's in open air.

One more thing (Lt Colombo moment)... if you install projection you may want to move speakers or make other audio improvements. Figuring out your speaker locations and how to get wire to them may influence other choices.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #9

Sounds like it will work, if you are half blind and do not mind the poor picture quality. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Old 03-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #10

I can understand the appeal, though flat panels TV's are getting lighter all the time (there are now 43 inch TV's under 16 pounds in weight, and 32 inch TV's under 9 pounds, probably less once you remove the stands, though the swing arm / televator mounts will add some weight), so a flat panel on a swing down mount, or a televator mount might make more sense, plus you don't have to close all the blinds to see the screen.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #11

I’d look into mounting the tv on a flexible, articulating arm before installing a projection tv setup. You may need to beef up the mount to support the weight though.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #12

As another in between option this is what I recently did for my front upper console TV (replacing the 13 year old flat TV with a newer, lighter narrower bezel model, and adding a swing arm with a rotation plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv-tiltted.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	320796  
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
Sounds like it will work, if you are half blind and do not mind the poor picture quality. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
You can get stunning picture quality if you have the budget.

Putting 12k lumens on a 6 foot screen from 8 feet away needs to be seen to be appreciated. I haven't seen the Newell installation but I've seen the high output laser projectors in boardroom environments and the word "overkill" comes to mind. Perceived video quality will be source dependent, not limited by projector output.

Putting a conventional video projector in an RV that can't be sufficiently darkened can yield a poor result, just as in a sticks and bricks home, an office, or other space lacking ambient light control.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
I installed a projector and drop down screen in my old Class A
Worked great, no problems with color, black, or white. No problems with resolution.

My projector worked well and was readily visible during the day with the shades pulled and the room darkened. The room doesn't need to be pitch black.

I used a Haupage tuner for OTA and cable television, worked great for both.
Used a mini computer for streaming Netflix, Hulu, the Haupage tuner etc. Had a dropdown screen rather than a shade and you probably really need an actual movie screen rather than a shade backside.

Things to consider:

I had 6 feet of distance from projector lense to the screen and this gave me a picture the size of a 55" TV.

Looking for projectors many manufacturers LIE about Lumens, Luxes, etc.

I went cheap with the 1st projector advertised as 7,500 Lumens. It sucked.

Went to a 3500 Lumen Ben Q from Amazon and it worked well in all light conditions (except bright sunlight)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my Tuner that turns projector into a television OTA and cable
https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Win...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This is the mini computer for streaming services
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You will need a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the computer, do not buy the Minix remote control, it sucks.

The BenQ projector will allow you to adjust size and distance (Within limits)

Measure your planned distance and look at the projrector specs to make sure it will work where you plan to put it.

It can be done with good picture quality, good color and contrast and is watchable in dim rooms, doesn't need to be pitch black dark.
Good luck.

Tags
install