Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #15

I think they're over thinking and complicating what is a very simple process. I'd much rather use regular crimp connectors with a *good* crimping tool, or solder and use regular heat shrink tubing. Much cheaper too.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #16

Already having more soldering irons than I need and probably a lifetime supply of solder and shrink tubing I'll probably just stick with what I'm familiar with. That said, if everyone raved about them I would have probably gone with them for ease of use. Thanks for all of your replies.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #17

I have fixed so many shoddy butt connectors (including my own lol) that I almost never use them anymore. I would trust my Western Union splice and black tape over those. I can't solder worth crap and if I do get some solder to stick to my connection it is a big blob with sharp edges and I can't get the shrink tape over it. I have been using these cosolder connections recently and I'm having fairly good results. I can slip them over my Western Union splice and just use my heat gun on them. You do have to be careful not to melt the heat shrink so I can only use low heat. I do wish the solder would melt more. I do see some melting though. If I had a better heat gun I could probably perfect the process. I may actually experiment with a Bic lighter on the solder part and see if I can concentrate the heat in that area.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #18

Used all the time in Mil and NASA cable and internal wiring of boxes. They really work well, but you need the proper heat gun. I own the proper heat gun, but you also need non commercial wire. The heat will melt automotive wire. The ones displayed are not to MIL spec, but will do the job.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I have fixed so many shoddy butt connectors (including my own lol) that I almost never use them anymore. I would trust my Western Union splice and black tape over those. I can't solder worth crap and if I do get some solder to stick to my connection it is a big blob with sharp edges and I can't get the shrink tape over it. I have been using these cosolder connections recently and I'm having fairly good results. I can slip them over my Western Union splice and just use my heat gun on them. You do have to be careful not to melt the heat shrink so I can only use low heat. I do wish the solder would melt more. I do see some melting though. If I had a better heat gun I could probably perfect the process. I may actually experiment with a Bic lighter on the solder part and see if I can concentrate the heat in that area.
I'm 67 and have been soldering since I was a little kid, so it's very natural for me. What I worry about with these things is getting a cold solder joint. It's just so much easier for me to either tin the wires and do a good crimp butt joint, or better, just solder it, put heat shrink over the joint, and shrink it with a Bic. Sometimes, depending on the circumstance, it's a little difficult to hold the two wires and solder them together, but you could at least tin them, then use a butt connector and get a good crimp.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #20

Solder has a higher resistance than a crimp so I use insulated ferrels , crimp the connection, solder it then slide shrink tubing over it. Without the ferrels soldering twisted together wires leaves a rough joint for the shrink tubing.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #21

I threw mine out out after trying a couple when I was rewiring the 58.
For automotive use confirmed by the shops that actually make replacement looms and build racing setups is like others here have stated, pre-tin the wires, then use butt connectors + use good crimping tools (not the cheap ones that come with some wiring kits - EVER) then solder through the holes in the butt connectors, then heat shrink. That is supposedly the gold standard. Some don’t do the solder, just crimp but over time the wires will snap or work out of the butt connector.

If you have no access to the butt connectors without the plastic sleeve, you can use the yellow, blue, red ones but cut the plastic off first. They are ok quality. This was pretty common in the Navy I believe.

Link here for good butt connectors: http://https://www.amazon.com/Non-Insulated-Butt-Connectors-22-18-gauge/dp/B000W20ZVA

Hope this helps.
58Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I’ve used some of the smaller sizes, I found it tricky to heat them enough to melt the solder but not melt the plastic.

I wondered about solder that would melt at a lower temperature than plastic.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #23

I have used those heat shrink sealed solder wire connectors
I don't use them for any higher amperage wires
I don't use them for solid wires only stranded wires
I used them for any data or controls wires
I used them on a stranded wire for a power wire that maybe serves just one LED light fixture (I wouldn't use them for a incandescent that might draw several amps)
Example - connecting the wires at an LED light fixture
Also the exact situation will dictate if there is enough slack in the wires and if the surrounding materials are conducive to using a heat gun around them
I have some heat cloths from the days of soldered copper pipe fittings and I'll place the heat cloths around to protect a wood surface, wall paper, vinyl or other surface from the heat
It can be tricky to wind the wires together tightly enough and hold them in place during heating to prevent them from pulling out of the solder area prematurely. You usually need two additional arms & hands

If it is a higher amperage wire or a solid wire, I would use crimp connectors, wire nuts, push in wire connectors or set screw type WAGO connectors. It just depends on the application.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I carry wire nuts, shrink tubing, solder/gun and electrical tape. Worked for me for 60+ years.