Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

Anyone here ever paint an rv???

been years since I've painted anything.... in fact I used to own a streetrod shop with a full paint and body shop... painted every thing with catalized enamel,,, get done and cut and buff...looks great...

we wanna paint my sons rv and wondering the best and easy way to go....I amagine it's the same as painting a boat? and is there a single stage that we can use that doesn't need primer..../??.... whats gonna be the best for longevity and results? whats gonna stick to the fiberglass and not peel?

my middle son painted his last motorhome with nason cheep paint.... didn't prime or anything... still looked good after 3 years ... but he sold it and got a different one...

it's a little 18'r... and cost to have it done might be way out of line... so probley have to do it our selves...

any and all ideas and answers appreciated:thumbsup
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Summit racing supply,single stage paints and hardners/reducers. Low cost,nice results,scuff with scotchbrite,clean real well with wax and silicone remover,paint.Use a hvlp gun to spray,12 lbs pressure at gun+or-.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

Well, modern paints are nothing like what we used even 10 years ago. They are way more toxic unless you get one of the newest water born paints. And talk about expensive! Yikes, painting a complete RV could set you back a thousand dollars or more in materials. Add in respirator, full body tyvex suit, lots of plastic sheeting to build a paint booth and your talking some real bucks for even a small RV. Dont forget to check with your local EPA on doing it too.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

I painted a small 1 ton school bus one time that I was planning to convert to a MH. It was 4WD.

All I can say is that it takes a lot of time and paint. I used a two tone Green Acrylic Enamel which was common for the time (early 70s). It turned out good, but then we moved from WV to OR and a top speed of 55 or so just wasn't fast enough for this part of the country. We did use it to move with, towing a Opel Cadett wagon. It took forever!

As already mentioned, be careful with some of the newer paints as they can be absorbed through the skin and are harmful. A good mask goes without saying.

Best of luck with your project.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #5

I'd suggest you locate a local shop and talk to them about an acrylic enamel in a solid/non metallic color. In my experience, that's about as easy/inexpensive as you're going to get.

Some of these paint shops aren't even going to want to talk with you, but others are run more like a small mom and pop store and love to help DIY's out.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #6

I recently painted my Class A motorhome, however, it only had paint on the lower 2 feet. I used acrylic enamel with hardner, painted it outside, and had a good result. Most perfectionists would turn there nose up at doing this outside, but if you pick a calm day, it is not as bad as it sounds. All of the surfaces were in the vertical, which resists dust or dirt from falling on it before it dries. I used an HVLP gun with a pressure setting of about 15 psi at the gun. I used a little less than 1/2 gallon. The paint was PPG and cost $100. I spot primed the bare areas. Masking and prep work took me 2 days...Painting - about 2 hours. I took all the locks off the cargo doors, as these would have been impossible to mask (9 doors and 18 locks). This paint dries in a few minutes, so contamination was zero problem. Here is a link to a picture.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f58/refur...on-316515.html
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #7

I did the bus outside as well, perhaps that's why it took so much paint?? :-)) A little breeze can increase consumption. One huge Crane Fly flew into it while I was working late in the evening. That imprint was there forever. Other than that there are no memories of problems from being outdoors.

I did paint my truck in the driveway which is under a large Non-Fruiting Mulberry tree. Later in the day there was enough breeze to move the limbs of the tree which then brought small debris down onto the truck. I hastily suspended a tarp over the truck by hanging it from the tree which kept more debris off. That was a base-clear paint which seems to last about 10 years before the clear starts peeling if the vehicle is left outside. I don't know, but that paint may do better if the vehicle is kept inside. It does a beautiful job, but because of the longevity I don't care for it and prefer a single coat paint.

Best of luck with yours.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
been years since I've painted anything.... in fact I used to own a streetrod shop with a full paint and body shop... painted every thing with catalized enamel,,, get done and cut and buff...looks great...

we wanna paint my sons rv and wondering the best and easy way to go....I amagine it's the same as painting a boat? and is there a single stage that we can use that doesn't need primer..../??.... whats gonna be the best for longevity and results? whats gonna stick to the fiberglass and not peel?

my middle son painted his last motorhome with nason cheep paint.... didn't prime or anything... still looked good after 3 years ... but he sold it and got a different one...

it's a little 18'r... and cost to have it done might be way out of line... so probley have to do it our selves...

any and all ideas and answers appreciated:thumbsup
Kirker automotive paint shoots like old school enamel you are used to and has a beautiful shine. Not priced bad either. You can buff out runs and orange peel like single stage enamel as well.
big willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, you are from Vegas? Do you know S&S Detail Shop? Behind the old Flying J, same exit as the Blue Beacon, turn the other way at the light, Right instead of left, go to the next light, turn left! on the R. Talk to Mike, owner of S & S, in the building behind his office, is a shop, that has a paint booth in it that will fit the biggest RV, no problem! Last time i was there, some guys were doing truck repair in the shop, and the paint booth was just sitting there? Unused!! I don't know what is going on with the place now, as i have retired from trucking, and moved to Thailand! But it might be worth a trip to talk with Mike, and ask him? Heck the last time i looked inside it, it still had lots of paint, still in the racks!! That has been 4 years ago, or so, so a lot could have changed by now? Worth a call, or a trip?
Rail!

Tags
paint