Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone replace pull out air mattress bed with foam?

Flexsteel pull out air coil mattress bed/sofa. it's 5 feet wide inbetween the arm rests. The mattress is a few coils with a covering and an air mattress above the coils.
I use it on a daily basis and the air mattress is to much of a hassle so I put in an inch topper where the air mattress was. It is starting to sag in the middle however and is not as comfortable anymore. The foam may also be compressing over the last year but I would like to find something to change it out with, maybe the whole mattress setup as it sits.
Has anyone replaced this type of mattress with something else? perhaps a thicker foam? or a different mattress that folds? If so can you direct me to a place to get them. I did see somthing at camping world that looks like it might even fit in the air mattress area but I am not sure it would allow the folding mechanism to close or not.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mattress

Just last week there was a post about this subject in this site, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Anyway I am in the same boat and when I found the site there were a lot of posts from members that purchased an "Air Dream" mattress. The comments were favorable enough from those posts that I purchased one myself. The manufacturer can post all the favorable comments that they want, but when the members here cast favorable votes I think that is a much better representation of users.
My concerns were the same as yours. I did find that the pull out couch/bed mattress is 52" side to side (inside the frame) and therefore a "Full" size mattress and not a "Queen" size. Among other things, the mattresses that I had been trying out were being cut up by the "scissor" type action in the fold out frame because they were too big. I inquired from the company and was told that when the air mattress is deflated, the mattress would go down to 4.5" and folds ok.
Anyway, my mattress was delivered on Tuesday (one day early) and it sits in the box in our garage high and dry. I am waiting for the wind to die down a little bit so I can remove the RV cover and be able to put out the slide and try the new mattress. I'll re post in a couple of days and hope I am in the majority of positive responders.
Joe
Old 03-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mattresses

By the way "CTCamper" is that a Connecticut Camper? Like wise here is you are.
Joe
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
YC1

One of the first mods on ours was to re-stuff the air mattress bed. A nice 4 inch bed in a box tempurpedic clone fits well and sleeps well. You don't feel your partner moving about in the night. You take time folding it up as it has to compress some. I would do that again in a second.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok I will look around and see if I can find a bed in a box type thing. Wasn't sure if 3 or 4 inch would be best. I will look to see if I can find a four inch.
Any suggestions on retailers would be great. Thank you.

Hello Joe Yes I am from Ct HI neighbor
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjm209 View Post
I'll re post in a couple of days and hope I am in the majority of positive responders.
Joe
I look forward to reading your review.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ON the air bladder type:

That type of mattress is the one I was trying to replace. Mine is the air over coil majestic from flexsteel in full size.

Found here:
http://www.flexsteel.com/vehicle-sea...r-sleep-system

It is fairly comfy if you don't mind inflating the air bladder every use and spending the 5 minutes to deflate. I have enough to do already on travel days to worry about all that.
The proprietary air inflation unit needs ac power also so not always good for me in certain national parks/forests with bans on generator usage at bed time.

I did find this place that makes covered foam mattress products. My big worry is if the 4.5 inch will fold into the existing frame.
http://www.mattressinsider.com/tradi...-shipping.html
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Air Dream Sofa Mattress

Well, it was a nice day and I took the cover off. As long as I was doing that, I decided to try out the new mattress. Bear in mind that I was very apprehensive. I put this one on. It is 11" high. 4.5" of coil spring and 5.5" of inflatable, all in one package.
1. Good place to do business with, answered all my questions. Delivery was one day sooner than promised.
2. Easy to use. All in one attractive mattress package
3. 52" width fits perfectly in my pull out and slides back in comfortably. It actually makes the sofa more comfortable to sit on.
4. Comes with electric inflator and inflates in about 45 seconds. Deflates in less.
5. Actually more comfortable that I expected. Wife jumped on also with me and we were pleasantly surprised at the comfort. Could definitely share this bed with her all night. (as if I had a choice of any else!!)
6. Cost was $259.00, shipping included.
7. All of the reviews from IRV2 members were right on the money. Thanks to all for their input.

Ct. Camper - from Pomfret here in the N/W of Ct. Where are you from? Pomfret is the place other people come to visit!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sofa Bed

I finally found the other site. It is under the Motorhome Forum, Class A, titled "Sofa Mattress" on pg 4. All of those recommendations from Youse Guys are the reason I got this one. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ordered a Memory Foam Sofa Sleeper replacement off of Amazon.
From Innerspace. I will post back after I try it out.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I have an air dream mattress. I like it a lot but it is not with out problems. When you put it away you must make sure that it and the blankets are tucked in. I did not and the mechnics of the bed cut my air bag. I have found that if you are careful and tuck everything in before folding the bed it is great.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes the air dream is comfy. I tried it once... but unless I had help or could leave it open it is not for me.
I found it takes me alot more than a minute to undo fitted sheet, inflate and make bed and then in the morning it is even longer getting the air out. It's bad enough I have to take off the sofa cover and cushions I have to use this every night and I want easy. Easy like in open bed. toss on sheet and blanket and pillow and jump in.... All with the least noise possible as I am the earliest up along with the dogs.

Foam unit has shipped and awaiting UPS
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
Foam unit has shipped and awaiting UPS
We are looking into a new mattress for our sleeper as well. Looking forward to your assessment on the new foam job. Are you planning to keep a mattress pad and bed coverings on when folding up the mattress?

Keeping the bedding on is a concern of mine...it would be nice to just fold everything up with the mattress. Right now we have the 'Air Dream' type spring & air mattress combo, but one side is blown out(think herniated whale) and unable to use it. I was thinking of replacing the air bladder and pump(<which is missing) and reusing the spring portion along with the cover. Air Dream offers that option. The deflation of the air/spring type mattress would seem to offer more clearance when folding up all the bedding material with the mattress. I don't know...

Be interesting to know if the foam mattress could be folded up with the bedding in place. I'm thinking of going that way as well to eliminate the 'blow-out' factor. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update. I got one off amazon and it was labeled memory foam but it arrived and was just a polyurethane pad. I got ahold of the vendor and he had me donate it to charity and he will get me the proper mattress shipped out.
It was donated as it was too hard to roll up again, it wouldn't compress enough to get it into the shipping box.
I am waiting on mattress number two now.
Innerspace brand.

Yes I plan on using a mattress pad and fitted sheet. I store the comforter and pillow in a back cabinet and toss them on each night. Should be enough room. I had to unpack the polyurethane pad before I even knew it was the wrong unit ( who would thing to check ) It was so well wrapped you don't have much of a choice. It folded up easily into the bed so I think there is plenty of room.

Tags
replace