Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Auto gen start

So I am getting ready to travel and wanted to test the AGS which has always worked until now it will not start the generator. It will pre heat and try 4 times but will not start. I have checked the voltage coming in on pin 4 and 2 I believe so with the generator running I have 12 volts coming to the AGS and the voltage goes away when I turn the generator off. The manual says this is correct I am not using temp or voltage to start using test. This is a 2013 Allegro bus 45lp with magnum energy 2812 and ME-RC with AGS. If anyone can help I will be in your debt. It has new batteries also. Thanks
Bigtoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #2

Not sure how your system is set up.

The way our system worked in applied terms is as follows.
AC is on and running we are plugged into pole.

If we unhook from pole there is an auto transfer and the generator starts up!

While on the road, in motion and the AC is turned on, the generator would come on automatically to meet the load.

As to the technical details never ventured into that area of concern.

But from what I gather,

load served via electric cable plugged into source no generator
When power at the pole goes off, generator starts

Similarly
No electric plug in while under way but power needed for a load
Generator starts up.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #3

When was the last time you had your generator serviced?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #4

Well I do all my own service on generator and motor I was in the excavating business so I know Diesel engines. That being said if there is some kind of reset like on a car well I am lost.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #5

The generator starts fine only AGS will not start it it will preheat but not start it.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #6

You are correct that’s the way mine always worked in the past but now it executes the start mode you can see and hear it preheating but it will not engage the starter after preheat it will do this three more times and then I get a red fault on the remote I have been over that manual 20 times and the voltage test they all seem to be what they should. Even Tiffin couldn’t help me out. I have ordered a new AGS module although I don’t think that’s the problem we will see. I just don’t know where else to go from here. Thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

If manually started will the generator start and run under load?

If that is working well then its a control board issue would be my guess in the electronic transfer mechanism that is not sending the start the generator signal.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
The preheat circuit is different than the start circuit. Is the fuse bad to the starter solenoid from the AGS? Have you verified you have 12 volts to the solenoid from the AGS?
Old 05-12-2021, 07:27 AM   #9

So on the phone with magnum energy did some trouble shooting and they said the AGS board was bad one of the relays not operating. New one on the way I will post the final outcome might help someone else.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:22 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If fuel pump energizing during crank? Fuel solenoid receiving power? We know Diesel just needs fuel and cranking and safety devices shut off fuel. High temp and low oil trip safety to shut off fuel?
Old 05-13-2021, 01:04 PM   #11

The new AGN fixed the problem Thanks