Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Fosilhog, check out this site Hughes Autoformers ::

It says the Autoformer starts boost at 116 volts. maybe your meter and the voltage detecting portion of the Autoformer aren't quite in sync.
Interesting, my original paperwork says 115. One volt difference no biggie. I'm not going to sweat it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you start your generator and then plug it into one of the 20 amp sockets using an adapter, then you can check to see if it stays in the boost mode.

The voltage coming out of your generator should be spot on versus what is supplied from the RV park.

I have a Power-Master Voltage Booster so I am not much help with the Autoformer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Ok I did that and success! Had the gennie putting out 120 VAC and plugged in the Hughes. mber light came on with the red boost for a second or 2 and went off like its suposed to. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #17

I was in an older park last summer. There were a good many construction workers in the park. I could watch my voltage monitor and see the HAF kicking up slightly when they all got home and turned their A/Cs on. In this case it was giving a little higher voltage on "boost" than the normal voltage was.

I have never experienced any "dimming" of the TV or any of the other appliances.

You just really forget that it is there, it works so well!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 AM   #18

Spartan Chassis
Typical Volt-Ohm meters have a 2-5% accuracy. Check the technical specifications of the meter you have. This can effect your measurements. Good comments on checking out the operation of the Autoformer. Very knowledgeable people here.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post
Ok I did that and success! Had the gennie putting out 120 VAC and plugged in the Hughes. Amber light came on with the red boost for a second or 2 and went off like its supposed to. Thanks for the tip.
Glad to hear that your Autoformer is OK.

I never trust any power coming from any pedestals. That's why I ALWAYS travel with a PowerMaster and the Progressive Industries EMS HW50C units hooked up in series directly after my shore power cord and before the transfer switch.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Typical Volt-Ohm meters have a 2-5% accuracy. Check the technical specifications of the meter you have. This can effect your measurements. Good comments on checking out the operation of the Autoformer. Very knowledgeable people here.
Thats what I figured if there was a % tolerance in the readings. I used 2 separate Fluke meters and got the same readings so I became suspicious. I burned up a few a/c units thru the years thanks to low park voltage but this is plugged into my house. I think all the Christmas decorations are eating the current!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That is somethign I plan on building in a couple of years.. A power monitoring system.

This system will have multiple voltmeters and indicators, and perhaps ammeters as well (Depending on if I can add them without voltage loss)
Incoming voltage pre-autoformer incoming voltage (well output of transfer switch) post autoformer, current (out from transfer switch) and possibly in from shore. and a simple NEON indicator for 240 volt. across the legs. Status at a glance.
That's a heckuva idea wa8yxm. Build two of them while you are at it and I'll buy one off you.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fossilhog,

At least your AF has boost lights. When I bought mine several years ago, Hughes stopped installing them on their units. Now I see they have them again....story of my life!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Fossilhog,

At least your AF has boost lights. When I bought mine several years ago, Hughes stopped installing them on their units. Now I see they have them again....story of my life!

Craig
Oh that's no good!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #24

Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned from people in this group. There's no end to the knowledge and advice. I got my basic electrical skills back in the 60's while in the Army at a Pershing Missle base. I was a generator tech. Never thought it would come in this handy!