Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Automatic Slack Adjusters

Okay, so many new technologies going into RVs nowadays. It's kind of important for all of us to get to know what's available with RVs so we get to make a better decision when buying the next RV.

Does anyone know what "ABS anti-lock braking system w/automatic slack adjusters" feature is all about? Why would I want it?

cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Okay, so many new technologies going into RVs nowadays. It's kind of important for all of us to get to know what's available with RVs so we get to make a better decision when buying the next RV.

Does anyone know what "ABS anti-lock braking system w/automatic slack adjusters" feature is all about? Why would I want it?

ABS is nothing new, you have it on all your autos also, I believe the Goverment said years back that brakes could no longer lock up........so, ABS was born.As for the slack adjusters......alls they do is keep your brakes adjusted to the proper position, when I drove truck, most all back then were manual slack adjusters and had to be adjusted with a 9/16" wrench, tighten down till tight(Brake shoes against drums) and then back off 3 turns. If stopped by the DOT and they were more than 3 turns off....$$$$, so now days......automatic adjusters. Even auto's with the old brake drums had a form of auto adjusters on them on the bottom of the brake shoes if you remember......
Old 10-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #3

ABS, systems for air brakes have been around for many years, can help prevent lock up of the brakes and flat spotting of tires in panic stop situations, and by keeping the wheels turning, helps with steering control.
Auto slack adjusters; well without them you'd have to be under the coach before every trip, manually adjusting the brakes, to assure you had full braking capability.

Although advertised; as new tech; both should be standard on any, air brake equipped coach built since 2000. Auto slack adjusters, 1994 ?

EDIT: Palehorse89, types faster than I do... everyone types faster than I do !
Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
ABS, systems for air brakes have been around for many years, can help prevent lock up of the brakes and flat spotting of tires in panic stop situations, and by keeping the wheels turning, helps with steering control.
Auto slack adjusters; well without them you'd have to be under the coach before every trip, manually adjusting the brakes, to assure you had full braking capability.

Although advertised; as new tech; both should be standard on any, air brake equipped coach built since 2000. Auto slack adjusters, 1994 ?

EDIT: Palehorse89, types faster than I do... everyone types faster than I do !
I had a beer in one hand also Skip
Old 10-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Calibration?

Great information so far.

Now, am I supposed to do any test of the adjusters before I get on the road? Will the system do anything automatically or do I need to worry about some check list?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

The slack adjusters have grease fitting to keep the ratchet mechanism working properly, as does the activation shaft to the " S " cam that works the brake shoes. I'll see if I can down load the check list that describes the method to test proper operation.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Still need to check occasionally to make sure slack adjusters are working.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I had a beer in one hand also Skip
Beer in this time zone , DW would kill me, 5 hrs and 15 mins to beer time here.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #9

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The slack adjusters have grease fitting to keep the ratchet mechanism working properly, as does the activation shaft to the " S " cam that works the brake shoes. I'll see if I can down load the check list that describes the method to test proper operation.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to more information.

I found this introductory info that others may find useful.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Do a search for the DOT pre-trip air brake tests that are part of the CDL license procedure.

Pumping the brake air down is part of that test for low air alarms and air recovery.

I am given to understand that the pumping process also tunes the slack adjusters.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote