Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #1

Automatic steps

We just purchased a 2013 Winnebago Vista and we are having an issue with the automatic steps. When the door is opened and the steps eject, the motor continues to run loudly for about 4 seconds after they are completely extended. It worked fine when we first used them. We have lubricated everything but it has not helped. I'm wondering if it's possible that the gear slipped a tooth and the motor doesn't recognize the stop position. Any thoughts?
cinsations is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would imagine there is a limit switch that shuts off the motor when it reaches a certain point. If so, the switch may be bad or need adjustment.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Lots of good folks here with good info. I can't help with the question but I am sure someone will be along who can. Enjoy the adventure
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

You have the same thread posted on another forum and you have some helpful responses.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/autom...ps-388089.html

I suggest you ask the mods to move this one or delet it as it is confusing.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinsations View Post
We just purchased a 2013 Winnebago Vista and we are having an issue with the automatic steps. When the door is opened and the steps eject, the motor continues to run loudly for about 4 seconds after they are completely extended. It worked fine when we first used them. We have lubricated everything but it has not helped. I'm wondering if it's possible that the gear slipped a tooth and the motor doesn't recognize the stop position. Any thoughts?
cinsations,
Well Sir, your analysis is pretty close. I had the same exact thing happen to ours a couple of years ago. Long story short, there is a DRIVE gear and a DRIVEN gear. The drive gear is on the motor. The driven gear is on the actuator arm, for lack of a better description. On ours, the steps would extend and, the motor would try and continue to extend the steps because, the driven gear had lost 1-2 teeth. And the motor couldn't recognize that.

So, off to ebay and a whole new gear box. All is better now. About $62 if I recall but, could be more now. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would imagine there is a limit switch that shuts off the motor when it reaches a certain point. If so, the switch may be bad or need adjustment.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MS,
There is no "Limit switch" on those. The motor is controlled by resistance. That is, when the steps extend, the motor runs with a certain resistance against it, presented by the mechanism of the steps moving. But, when that mechanism reaches the end of the travel and the steps are fully extended, the motor quickly develops or, encounters I should say, seriously more resistance and, at that point in time, it quits. And, the whole system works the exact same in reverse, when retracting those steps.

I have the same exact motor in my step cover, right in front of the passenger. That step cover extends, hits the end of it's travel and, that motor quits. When retracting, it runs that step cover all the way back in and, at the end of its travel, it quits, same-0-same-O.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps