Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

Awning question......

I have owned a few. Never had this problem, maybe someone here can figure this out. My new to me class A has a vintage 1996 18' awning. Initially I could not see the release arm, you know the one you flip with the end of the "awning wand" to release it to unwind. I discovered that it is turned inward towards the RV and very difficult to get at. Anyhoo, my question is how do I turn the end cap so that the release lever is facing out where is it supposed to be???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What brand of awning? A&E, Carefree, Girard, etc.?

Generally the end caps are riveted in, so you have to drill the rivet out. rotate, and then screw or rivet again.

In some brands the roller tube has more than one slot for the lower end of the awning. You could slip the awning out and into the other slot, which would change the untimate rolled-up position of the tube. But you might have to drill to open the slot of get the awning out, so maybe nothing to be gained by that method.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you take anything loose on that awning, be sure to get advice from someone who works on them. There is tremendous tension stored in the rewind spring and it will bite you terribly.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Before you take anything loose on that awning, be sure to get advice from someone who works on them. There is tremendous tension stored in the rewind spring and it will bite you terribly.

X2 springs are 4 feet long and under A LOT of tension!

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

My MH had the same style. I finally drilled a small hole in the arm that you move, made a loop of wire that I could grab with the awning hook, then flopped it over toward the outside, so I could pull it down. A few years later my insurance (payments) co. bought me a NEW awning and the hook was on the correct side with it.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
How to release spring tension with locking pliers. BE CAREFUL !!! Worked for me and I've done 3 for others.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses....I shoot a picture of it today for y'all. I have put new fabric in one and am aware they have a stout spring.

I worked on it for 3 hours yesterday after finding that one of the secondary rafter rivet holes was torn up at the top causing it to jam in the closed position. After finally getting the awning open, I drilled out the rivet, removed the rafter and cut 1" off of it. I then cut the slots back in it with a dremel and drilled new mounting holes. I had to make a rivet out of a SS bolt, washer and cotter pin.

It's all back together now, but that darn "open/close" lever jammed towards the motorhome drives me nuts.

Gary I see those rivets on the end cap and I won't touch them unless it's the only way to fix this.

Mike, a wire loop would help, but the thing is jammed against the awning rail when closed which actually keeps the top bracket from completely closing. I might cut the lever off about a half an inch and then put a wire loop on it, that way it will be free to move in both directions.

Watching the video now Adam....
Old 01-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

After watching the video...Gary it looks like you were right. Release tension, drill out the 3 rivets, rotate the end cap and re-rivet. Apparently this fabric was replaced in the past and whoever did it did not set the end cap back in the proper location.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On paper at least it is easier than you think...

First, the tube has 3 slots running the length of the tube, MARK the one that is vacant (The one where you hang lights or sun screens or such) with some kind of marker (a light hanger will do).

Next on the rear end of the unit is a locking method so the thing can be removed from the arms without unwinding the spring inisde it, LOCK it.

Remove the tube and then slide the fabric off (you may need to remove a screw).

Reinstall the fabric, this time using the slot that used to be vacant

Re-assemble and remove locking pin

Thats all, you have just rotated it 120 degrees.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I have owned a few. Never had this problem, maybe someone here can figure this out. My new to me class A has a vintage 1996 18' awning. Initially I could not see the release arm, you know the one you flip with the end of the "awning wand" to release it to unwind. I discovered that it is turned inward towards the RV and very difficult to get at. Anyhoo, my question is how do I turn the end cap so that the release lever is facing out where is it supposed to be???
Motor7
IF it's a Carefree awning this service manual my be helpful:
http://www.e-carefree.com/documentat...e%20Manual.pdf
Mel
'96 Safari (16' Carefree Fiesta awning)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning