Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I also have an awning lock like in post#5. In my years of traveling I have seen 5 manual actuated awnings along the side of the road or an rv off the road dealing with an awning that that unrolled.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #16

[Moderator edit}

Not blaming but just stating a fact that many, many mishaps, equipment accidents or failures, appliance malfunctions, towing a TT without the proper towing hitch and no anti-sway bars, the multitude of things that can happen if you over load your rig, improper PSI in your tires, and the list goes on and on for miles. And then we read their stories online—not just here but in many places—or see their equipment failures on youtube from a dash cam.

In many cases, RV owners that experience many of these type of common accidents or mishaps are self inflicted. Knowledge is power. Researching, learning and constantly staying informed about their rig, and normal safety protocols about RVing in general—could and does—avoid a huge percentage of these type of mishaps from happening in the first place. I was not being accusatory in my post. I include myself in this never ending journey to learn more and become a better, more responsible RVer in all things concerning this lifestyle. This learning part of RV life and our rig is part of the RV journey too.

Even now, I'm online replying to you sharing these things that I've learned from others on the road and here on this forum and many other places online. It's the desire to learn. I've learned a ton on this forum and I take notes. You should see my bookmark folders. It's almost comical it's so big. Maybe you have never searched this out in 12 yrs. of RVing, but some folks in the future that will read this thread—seeking to become more knowledgeable—probably will begin to research more thoroughly from now on and will see the importance to constantly learn.

Escapees in Texas actually conduct 3-4 day learning sessions to teach RVer's how to avoid such things as this awning mishap. They cover a multitude of subjects.

Now granted stuff still happens—no matter what you do—but self inflicted stuff can be avoided.

Not being sarcastic here, but there's a famous saying, "if people don't learn from history, they're bound to repeat it". There's so much online historical information today to learn from other RVer's mistakes, or great tips they've learned, PM items that should be done to avoid future problems, things to do and things not to do...and so on. But it's incumbent on each individual person to seek out that information and then do it.

I can't tell you how many times I've read that in AZ alone, that the landscape along their highways are littered with skeletal remains of ripped apart awnings that unfurled from high gusts of wind. Here's just one sample article:
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/rv_awning/

Take a look of some of the past stories on this forum alone concerning this subject:
awning unfurled from a gust of wind site:irv2.com

Stay safe my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #17

Broken Awning that Unfurled

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Not blaming but just stating a fact that many, many mishaps, equipment accidents or failures, appliance malfunctions, towing a TT without the proper towing hitch and no anti-sway bars, the multitude of things that can happen if you over load your rig, improper PSI in your tires, and the list goes on and on for miles. And then we read their stories online—not just here but in many places—or see their equipment failures on youtube from a dash cam.

In many cases, RV owners that experience many of these type of common accidents or mishaps are self inflicted. Knowledge is power. Researching, learning and constantly staying informed about their rig, and normal safety protocols about RVing in general—could and does—avoid a huge percentage of these type of mishaps from happening in the first place. I was not being accusatory in my post. I include myself in this never ending journey to learn more and become a better, more responsible RVer in all things concerning this lifestyle. This learning part of RV life and our rig is part of the RV journey too.

Even now, I'm online replying to you sharing these things that I've learned from others on the road and here on this forum and many other places online. It's the desire to learn. I've learned a ton on this forum and I take notes. You should see my bookmark folders. It's almost comical it's so big. Maybe you have never searched this out in 12 yrs. of RVing, but some folks in the future that will read this thread—seeking to become more knowledgeable—probably will begin to research more thoroughly from now on and will see the importance to constantly learn.

Escapees in Texas actually conduct 3-4 day learning sessions to teach RVer's how to avoid such things as this awning mishap. They cover a multitude of subjects.

Now granted stuff still happens—no matter what you do—but self inflicted stuff can be avoided.

Not being sarcastic here, but there's a famous saying, "if people don't learn from history, they're bound to repeat it". There's so much online historical information today to learn from other RVer's mistakes, or great tips they've learned, PM items that should be done to avoid future problems, things to do and things not to do...and so on. But it's incumbent on each individual person to seek out that information and then do it.

I can't tell you how many times I've read that in AZ alone, that the landscape along their highways are littered with skeletal remains of ripped apart awnings that unfurled from high gusts of wind. Here's just one sample article:
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/rv_awning/

Take a look of some of the past stories on this forum alone concerning this subject:
awning unfurled from a gust of wind site:irv2.com

Stay safe my friend.
Well said Marjoa.

Since we've been on the road, I am amazed and sometimes stunned on how little many RVers know about just the basic stuff.

The latest thing I ran into just recently was, I met a couple who have been FTing for 8 years, and they didn't even know what a hot spot was on their phone and how they could use it for internet access. Great people too. We became friends. I showed them how to utilize the technology they already had on board. They had been paying $300/mo. for phone, TV and internet FOR 8 YEARS. Do that math. $28,800. Unbelievable.

I taught them a better way and now their costs are $120/mo. including taxes, no contracts, no purchase of any other hard ware and they have as much internet data they could ever use each month.

They just never took the time to learn. So yeah as you said, "it's incumbent on each individual person to seek out that information and then do it'.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #18

We encountered severely high winds on I-10 in west Texas a couple of years ago. The arms did not break free but the anti-rotation 'finger' was ripped out and the awning unfurled, flapping violently. No other damage but we punched holes in the fabric to allow tying it off so we could continue. Our warranty covered it based on the evidence that the finger had failed.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have two incidents with my two MH’s. On the first with a very strong side wind. Awning unfurled and I made it to a place I could rewind it. The latches let loose so now it has Zip ties at the top of the arm and ratchet strap around tube to stop that from ever happening again. Awning still works just a little more effort to use.

My BIL saw this and not 2 months later his awning on his fifth came undone and destroyed itself on the interstate.

On My present MH I found out there are slide locks on the automatic awnings arms that go out with the room slide and then can be extended to cover the windows. The upright arms pivot to let awning cover part of the window. When the slide locks aren’t locked into place it will on a very windy day, as I found out, unravel while driving. Caught it before it did any damage. Learned a lesson.

As was stated owning an RV is a huge learning experience and hopefully most are just a oohh moment.

IRV2 has been my learning site and I read a lot of what people have had happen so I can be better prepared when it does happen to me.

Good luck, safe travels.

Terry
96Bounder1st is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #20

The ratchet cogwheel of my awning was partially stripped, as I discovered when I forgot to flip the lever and I could easily pull the awning out anyway. The guy who replaced the awning ratchet end fitting said it was fairly common and showed me a few others he had rolling around in his truck.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
While traveling through CO a couple years ago we got some severe side winds and our awning did the same. Unrolled, slapped the side of the coach. Got pulled to the side and zip tied, bungeed, checked all the locks only to have it happen again in a few miles. Finally gave in and pulled over for a while. We seldom used the awning but it was destroyed. I have seen several laying along side the highways where they have been cut off or torn off. It is not unusual to get fierce side winds here in the western states that cause the unrolling of manual awnings.