Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #1

Awning unrolled and slammed on roof while driving

I was driving home this morning in windy rainy conditions. Heard something loud and thought I had an accident. Apparently my Dometic awning unrolled and slammed on the roof. Knocked down every light cover, screens from vents, and broke the bathroom fan cover. Even the refrigerator baking soda powdered out of the material. Very scary stuff. Wish I would have known of this problem so I could have taken steps to have prevented it. Getting someone out through the Good Sam's Roadside assistance was a joke. I would still be sitting there. Used my Garmin RV and started calling service centers. We cut it off, unscrewed the brackets, slid it off. He had to cut it in half to get into his service truck. I'll be looking for a new awning and hopefully my insurance will help. Grateful nobody got hurt and the parts that flew off didn't fly into someones windshield.
Doris.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry your first post is about an unfortunate incident .

My manual awning unraveled in a similar fashion , when the coach was blasted with a ( best guess ) 40 mph gust from the side ; bent the locking tabs on the arms . DW and I , standing in a three foot deep ditch on a two lane road trying to get it retracted , had to stop in place because the next power pole would have pushed the awning tube through the toad windshield.
Fortunately , nothing was badly bent , and we were able to retract partially and get to the shelter of an abandoned building 6 miles down the road and fully retract the awning , zip tied the arms over the bent lock taps and continued our travels.
Hope your insurance come through.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

[Moderator edit]

Zip tying the awning arms, bungie cording the arms and all the many other self engineered ways to tie down the extension arms will NOT prevent this from happening again.

You have to prevent the actual awning ROLLER from unfurling.

Go the to green box up top and search out for solutions to do this.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Doris, was it a manual or automatic awning?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Travel Lock

I put this on mine after reading several posts here on irv2. Easy install

https://www.awninglock.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3142.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	286124  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
^^^^^
I did the same.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #7

I have electric, but velcrow it closed on both arms, just incase and to help ease the thing from being needed to be rolled up to the max.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #8

Get some awning travel locks or wrap some velcro straps around the arms.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #9

I made a lock with a long stainless steel rod that fits into the awning tube track. I bent one end of the rod 90 degrees, with about six inches sticking out.

When I roll up the awning, I stick the bent end of the rod in the unused track of the awning tube, then pull the long side down alongside the awning rail, where I ziptie it in two places.

If the awning tube were to rotate it would jam the rotation with the rod, and the zipties prevent it from coming loose and flailing around. So far so good.

Simply securing the rails may keep the awning from opening up but do nothing to keep it from unrolling and ballooning.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #10

For a manual awning, the only way for it to unfurl is for the ratchet lever to be incorrectly moved to the open position while stored, or for the ratchet pawl to break
I've never had that happen_yet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #11

Here's an off-the-shelf solution that is going on my shopping list: https://www.awninglock.com/greatestmyth.html
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #12

I had an Awninglock on another MH and while it worked, the awning rarely rolled up so the hole in the tube was in the same place rotation-wise.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #13

Can this happens with manual or power awnings?
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #14

Awning unrolled and slammed on roof while driving

[Moderator edit}

I know I have certainly never searched it out and in 12 years of RVing and 6 years on the Jayco / IRV forum this is the first I have ever heard of this issue.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote