Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Awning with tiny holes

Noticed the other day during a rain shower, that I have 5 tiny holes in my awning. What would be the best sealant to repair tiny holes? awning in good shape except for this. Don't know how this happen for I always sweep it off before rolling up. thanks for any helpful solution
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Best guess as to cause,fire embers from camp Fire. Cure,tiny dab of silicon sealant. try the sealant first on a area to make sure the awning and sealant play well together.

LEN
Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I used awning tape to cover a hole where a small limb dropped straight down onto my topper. Same material as the regular awning. Anyway, that tape has held up very well for the past year.

One word of caution: I messed up an awning on our previous rv. I used a stiff broom to sweep leaves & debris off of the roof, toppers and awning before bringing them in. Well, I discovered a lot of tiny holes when looking up and it took a while before I figured out why. I was actually forcing the bristles of the broom down through the awning when I first contacted the broom with the awning. Now I sweep softly and make sure it is sideways on contact. Never crossed my mind when I was putting that broom on the awning that I could be poking holes in it. No holes for 5 years now - I learned my lesson!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
thanks Len, I do have some clean silicon, I will give it a try. Harry you know I never thought of the broom doing that, but I have always just swept cross ways. I'm lucky there is only 5 very tiny holes that I have seen leaking. Thanks again , I'll let you know how the silicon turns out
Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #5
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I found glue type product at the hardware store that stays pliable. It worked on pin holes at the top of an old awning.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
NRR, what is the name of the glue you are talking about. Thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
This is where a can of Flex Seal might work. It does stay flexible and dries non-sticky.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use two sealants for jobs like that

If it's wet.. Seal all (this is basically the original Duco cement which is no longer sold under that name)

If dry,, GOOP.

But any good flexible sealant will work,, Silicon does nto (in my experience) stick that well but if you push it through the hole and flatten it on the other side you have a rivet.. Rivets hold well.

Tags
awning