Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #15

I have no problem backing in from either side. My wife is absolutely NO help at all, I'd rather do it by myself. I always get out and look over the entire site before backing in. My mirrors are always used so I don't see the difficulty left or right side. I did go to an RV drivers course at Lazy Days about six years ago. He taught us what to look for and how to properly back up as one of the lessons and always using his class in what he taught me I have never failed. Maybe those of you who can't do this need to take a class? I am not slamming anybody here just stating what I know is true for me. I feel if I am not 100% completly comfortaable in my coach under any and all circumstances that arise, I shouldn't be driving it or I will seek out help to correct it. Again, this is not meant to inflame anybody here, I promise, just my view. Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A good point there Bob O. Before I back into a site, we always get out, walk into the site and check for utilities, overhangs, curbs, etc. to be sure I ahve clear access to the site and room to manuever. I point out to my wife where I need to have the trailer as it comes into the site. we have manged to get the traier into som pretty tight sites where I could not even see the rear of the trailer at tims.

But you also need to head for an empty parking lot with a half-dozen of so plastic milk jugs or small boxes to use to define a "site". Now practice to learn how the trailer will react with the turning of the truck.

It is not hard, it just takes some planning and a bit of practice.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #17

I also get out and do a walk around before I back in , but what I think I was trying to say was that I found it much easier to do it from the passenger side than the blind side , and yes I can get it in from the blind side, but my blood pressure stays high untill I put it in park and shut down the engine
nostradumass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #18

We always walk the site together and decide who is going to do what...either one of us can spot or back in. The only problem we have had is bottoming out once - I wasn't watching the rear end as I was watching an obstacle on the side.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dont have a problem with backing either direction into a site. Its just a matter of practice and awareness of the surroundings. Good advise to get out and check the site "on foot" before landing!
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:36 AM   #20

I found that the motorhome is the same width whether backing from either side.After walking the site and adjusting the mirrors to see the edge of the site If I am in the right place on the right ,usually the left side is OK.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
As long as I have a spotter (DW) I really don't see a lot of difference backing in from either side. That's why I have mirrors and a backup camera.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I get all of the “backing up” practice I need when I park our motorhome in our covered storage space, my space has two 6”X6” post that support the roof and divide each parking space and the space is only 18” wider than the motorhome. When they designed the storage area they were probably having a drink of two and they spaced the storage units 37’ apart………my motorhome is 34’ 5”! I have to back in at quite an angle and then when the rear wheels clear the support post I have to really crank the steering wheel to miss the RV’s parked next to me. My Wife is my spotter and during one parking episode she was waving her arms (I have a backup camera and speaker) and jumping up and down so I stopped quickly and got out to take a look, everything was okay but she suggested that when I get back behind the wheel I turn up the speaker on the backup camera so I can hear her. I must say that I have never backed a trailer into a parking spot but when camping in a park I am impressed when someone puts one of those big 5th wheels in a parking spot I am impressed but after parking my RV in the storage spot I don’t find parking my rig in a campground spot too difficult. I am a retired aircraft mechanic and when I “pushed back” my first jet the mechanic “riding the brakes” complained that I was giving him motion sickness because the nose was swinging back and forth so much.

Ron
Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I find the most difficult backing situation to be one where there isn't much room on the nose. So, as your a backing and trying to watch the tail end, you have to keep checking forward, too. Somehow, there is always a strategically placed tree right where I want to move the right front to line the vehicle up with site.

When we first got our RV, we took it to a mall lot early Sunday mornings. We drove down the isles and then backed down the isles, turning into different parking spaces, left and right. It sure helped a lot.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #24

We have never had any problems backing into campsites, or parking places. Our best thing is a set of handheld radios, a DW that understands the handling and vision problems, and a rule that our dealer taught us. Whoever is on the outside is the LAW. STOP means STOP RIGHT NOW!! After I stop, I do not move until told to do so by the spotter. I usually ask why, but don't move!
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
set of handheld radios
We started out with handheld radios and had two problems. 1) the "talk" button has to be pressed to talk! ...asking a question required me to pick up a radio and drive one-handed while the bigger problem was that the DW could not seem to press the "talk" button in conjunction with actually talking; 2) the diesel engine noise over the outside radio was very bad when she was at the rear where she needed to be when I was backing up!

We now use a pair of dual-duplex headsets. There is no button to press, we can talk and listen as in a normal calm conversation, outside noises are minimal, it is very easy to ignore other "helpful" people (if I can't see and hear the DW, I don't move regardless of who else is making all kinds of wild hand signals) and we can even both talk and listen at the same time if we want to try that trick!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #26

If you are talking about the AM ones, I found them to have too much static and have a severely limited range.

Quote:
Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">set of handheld radios
We started out with handheld radios and had two problems. 1) the "talk" button has to be pressed to talk! ...asking a question required me to pick up a radio and drive one-handed while the bigger problem was that the DW could not seem to press the "talk" button in conjunction with actually talking; 2) the diesel engine noise over the outside radio was very bad when she was at the rear where she needed to be when I was backing up!

We now use a pair of dual-duplex headsets. There is no button to press, we can talk and listen as in a normal calm conversation, outside noises are minimal, it is very easy to ignore other "helpful" people (if I can't see and hear the DW, I don't move regardless of who else is making all kinds of wild hand signals) and we can even both talk and listen at the same time if we want to try that trick!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Press the button to talk and release it to listen....My copilot likes to keep it pressed and just ramble on....I finally will stop and toot the horn (if it not early or late) to get her attention...then I can talk.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
AM ones, I found them to have too much static and have a severely limited range
AM? FM? I have no idea. We don't have any static to speak of. True the range is somewhat limited, but plenty for us to get a 40' motorhome parked ...definitely can't walk a couple of sites away and talk.
Quote:
Press the button to talk and release it to listen....
...it seemed the concept of pressing the button BEFORE you start talking rather than sometime thereafter was just too difficult for my helper (unnamed!) to grasp... hand-mouth coordination issue??
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote