RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
dp7

Bad experience with Bug Magic

My new coach came with factory installed Diamond Shield. The Diamond Shield website recommends Bug Magic which apparently is only available from Diamond Shield. Since I wanted to do everything by the book, I ponied up for the highly overpriced bug cleaner.

Yesterday I used it to remove some bugs on the front cap over the windshield. It removed the bugs with very little effort. However, some of the Bug Magic ran down the windshield & dried before it could be removed. Today I tried to clean the dried runs from the windshield with glass cleaner, 409 & even more Bug Magic. None would remove the dried runs. I even resorted to 0000 steel wool in a small inconspicuous area of the windshield. It did remove most of the dried runs, but there is still a visible remnant of the stuff even after the steel wool. I am concerned that it may have etched the glass. Just wanted to let others know that if you use this stuff & any drips dry on glass or I assume paint, the outcome is not good!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #2

DP7, ouch and I was about to pony up also. I have been using a mixture of 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water with a cotton cloth. It has worked really well and I wipe everything down with plain water and dry.

Guess I will stick with this as I've had no issues so far.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I just wash the front with a bucket and car mop when I get somewhere. Couple squirts of car shampoo and water. The car shampoo has a synthetic wax in it that creates a new bug barrier. Repeated use has reduced bug cleaning time down to about 1 beer.

I also wash the windshield with the same stuff. A quick swipe with a water blade removes the water spots.

Every once in a while I get a really tough bug that won't wash off. A plastic pot scraper wipes them right off.

A Norwex wash cloth also works on those buggers.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #4

In our area, the love bugs are out in force right now. Them things must have acid for blood because they sometimes etch clear coats and paint if not promptly removed. If fresh, they'll come off with soap, water, and some scrubbing. But if they've been on a while, good luck using that method. I learned a few years back, that a dampened dryer sheet is the thing to use for removing them.

Only thing is, i'm not sure if it takes wax off or if it's good to use with aftermarket products such as diamond shield. You'd need to check before you used.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

I use regular Meguiar's pure Carnuba wax(no cleaners) on my Diamond Shield and the bugs come off super easy, with soap(Meguiar's Ultimate Wash&Wax) and water. Sometime if I get streaks on the windows that won't come off, I rub them out with a micro fiber cloth that I used to take off wax. For whatever reason using a cloth with wax residue on it seems to take out those streaks. I also use the CR Spotless, which leaves a brilliant spot free shine. My Diamond Shield and entire MH still look better than they day I took delivery.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
My new coach came with factory installed Diamond Shield. The Diamond Shield website recommends Bug Magic which apparently is only available from Diamond Shield. Since I wanted to do everything by the book, I ponied up for the highly overpriced bug cleaner.

Yesterday I used it to remove some bugs on the front cap over the windshield. It removed the bugs with very little effort. However, some of the Bug Magic ran down the windshield & dried before it could be removed. Today I tried to clean the dried runs from the windshield with glass cleaner, 409 & even more Bug Magic. None would remove the dried runs. I even resorted to 0000 steel wool in a small inconspicuous area of the windshield. It did remove most of the dried runs, but there is still a visible remnant of the stuff even after the steel wool. I am concerned that it may have etched the glass. Just wanted to let others know that if you use this stuff & any drips dry on glass or I assume paint, the outcome is not good!

Just try razor blade. It should shave the runs off . Painters use it. It will not damage glass.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote