RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds to me like a mis-wire

Proper wiring of an inverter in the x-thousand watt range is this

Shore/Generator/ATS---Main box-Branch breaker---inverter---Sub box (may be part of inverter)---Loads

And then other branches off the main box go to the water heater, Fridge, Converter (if any) A/Cs and Space heaters. I never hit 20 amps on my sub panel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #16

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
As suggested, I checked every outlet and learned that every outlet is tied to the inverter (2800w). Further checking showed the inverter being protected by a 30A circuit breaker. That explains why 50A of shore power couldn't service 4500w of usage from the outlets...which would have typically been the occasional microwave (1500), coffee maker (900), occasional hot-plate (1400), and the space heater (1500). All of them ON at once tripped the little white breaker on the inverter, not the CB.

Since the water heater and refrigerator are dual-fuel items, and have their own circuit breakers, was I barking up the wrong tree by switching them to LP during these times? Seems like I wasn't helping where it was needed?
Since the water heater(elec) should not be on the inverter, yes, but you'll have to see if the Fridge is on the inverter, but I would hedge a guess that since it's a dual-power type, no... so neither of these should impact your Inverter, if that's the case. But you'd have to try the Fridge on the Inverter to see if it is powered to really know.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #17

Something is wrong here.

When we’re hooked up to 50 amp shore power with our coach (with a 2,000 watt inverter), I turn the inverter OFF! With AC power coming in from the outside, I don’t need to use the inverter to have AC in the house...it passes through via the shore power feed and bypasses the inverter, as it should.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #18

sure, A Traveler, many folks might do that. The Inverter, though, does not just provide power when not connected to Shore Power, or the Generator, but is your back-up power when either of these external sources are lost, whether only for a second, or for many hours. The Inverter immediately kicks in and continues providing power, it's your back-up power system.

Turning OFF the inverter simply turns off your back-up power option, and it really does no disservice to leave it on all the time, which is when it is simply passing thru power.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the generator for if you need the inverter for backup power. Just saying.
Scorpion65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Something is wrong here.

it passes through via the shore power feed and bypasses the inverter, as it should.
It does bypass the inverter, but it does that inside the inverter case. The internal bypass switch is protected by a circuit breaker.

Anything that can run off your inverter passes thru it while on shore or generator power.

Basicly, there are 2 transfer switchs in RVs with generators and factory installed inverter/chargers.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my all electric coach the inverter powers the residential frig, microwave and entertainment system. It is there to provide power during travel or for short term power outages. It acts as a uninterruptible power source a UPS and protects your equipment. Your generator is there to power the coach and recharge your batteries when shore power is unavailable for long periods of time.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #22

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion65 View Post
What is the generator for if you need the inverter for backup power. Just saying.

in the 'mobile' RV environment, you have several 'power' sources... but only one can work at a time - when it's no longer available, though, you must rely on the next...

Battery power - 12 v DC(direct current) to 12 v items only

Inverter - uses 12v DC power, changes it to 120 v power for items that must be 'plugged in' to a household outlet

Generator - provides 120v power output - can be used thru the breaker box by all 120v items, including air conditioners, can charge the batteries thru a Charger, and can provide 12 v power thru a Converter

Shore Power - provides the same as the generator, an external power source

Solar - [simply recharges the batteries]

the 'Backups':

- the FIRST backup is the Inverter, if ON. It continues providing power to the 120v outlets. If you don't leave the Inverter on, then you will lose all power to these items. The 12v items will receive direct current from the batteries.

- the SECOND backup is the Generator, whether started manually, or by the AGS(auto generator starter), when the batteries fall too low. It provides 120v power directly to the breaker box for all 120v items, thru the Converter for 12v items, AND recharges the batteries thru the Charger.

I can understand the question of 'why' should the inverter stay on when shore power is available, though. When RVs had only 'basic' intermittent use of Inverter power it would make sense - I don't need it til I need it. But today's RVs and RVing public expect constant 120v power for computers, device chargers, electronic equipment with clocks, receivers for satellite tv service, etc., without interruption.
One example is satellite TV viewing... when our shore power is lost, or the generator stops, the Inverter continues providing power such that nothing turns off, but continues seamlessly, as if nothing is different. If it did not, every receiver would have to reset itself and go thru the motions when the power was restored. The microwave clock would have to be corrected, desktop computers would shut down and have to be restarted, etc. etc.

With our 'backup' setup, as with most Class A rvs, we don't have to worry about 'turning things off/on' - but the systems are designed and set to provide instant and easy transfer of power without interaction.
The inverter simply fills the gap between the two external power sources, Shore and Generator, that we have come to expect when traveling and when parked.

enjoy!
Old 03-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #23

I'll add this too - some Inverters, like our Magnum ME2012, have a 'SEARCH' watts feature. You can set this to 'ON', and set the watts to 5 or 10, or more, etc., giving the Inverter the option to stay in 'sleep' mode until needed by something requiring it, such as the fridge - a 120v item that is needing power, but maybe not all the time. So, the Inverter only 'wakes up' when the item needs power, and goes back to sleep when not.

So, the Inverter is 'on', but in 'sleep' mode until needed.

: )
Old 03-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

'sleep' mode until needed by something requiring it, such as the fridge - a 120v item that is needing power, but maybe not all the time.

So, the Inverter is 'on', but in 'sleep' mode until needed.

: )
Have you run your fridge while the inverter is in sleep mode ?

In sleep mode the is no 120 volt output. It just tests for a draw above a set wattage.

Wouldn't the thermostat of many electronic controlled fridges need full time 120 volt power, to know when to switch on the compressor.

Even if it has a mechanical thermostat, if its frost free, the defrost clock would either keep the inverter awake or not run, causing excess frost buildup.

I don't think using the sleep mode is a one size fits all setting, for residential fridges.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #25

possibly true... here's what Magnum says:

"Note: Even though the search feature is on, some connected equipment
may draw enough current even while in the “off” position to
keep the inverter in the “inverting mode”."

Tags
inverter