Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Baking in an RV oven

Hi everyone. While we were searching for our RV I was concerned about baking since I am a pastry chef and unsure about using the small convection oven. Well our RV didn't have a convection oven. I also never used the oven in our last RV. Last night made a killer chicken dish and today I am playing with the oven baking. Pic of the very first batch of chocolate chip cookies. I am now sure I can carry on my baking while on the road with a baby shower cake that will have to be baked , built and decorated all in the RV.

Thanks to everyone that helped with my concerns.
Shaz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1408916250172.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	71852  
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you have a propane oven in your RV one thing that many (Myself included) have done is get either a Pizza Stone or an UNGLAZED clay tile (1' by 1') and lay it on the bottom of the oven,, This tends to improve heat control and make for better and more even baking.

I now use both the propane oven and a small electric oven (Basically a very large toaster oven) (It can toast too) and make cookies usually Sinckerdoodles, most every week here in GA for a nearby pot luck.

Have also done assorted roasts, Cheese cake.. Pies,, Do not do cakes (By choice not due to any deficiency in the oven.. I just do not care that much for cake) Have done cakes in the past but not in the RV.

(Learned to cook when my age was still expressed with a single digit, Did cakes, cookies, brownies and pizza back then, Learned pie in my mid teens (Self taught) and .. Well... Lots of stuff since)

NOTE to parents: Teach your SONS how to cook (My mother did, though not entierly by choice), Why.. Well back when I was in school boys took Shop and girls Home Ec. Howeer I learned to cook for other reasons (Special school that treate all the same for a couple years and mother was on bed rest and could not cook, Since I had limited kitchen skills and was the oldest of 4.. I got Kitchen duty, and a very good education since Mother was a very good cook).

Well, I graduated high school, went off to college, turned 18, and 21, and 27 before I got married at 27.5.. 34.5 years later my one and only wife left me the religiously approved way (Lost control of the used car we had just purchased and slammed into a tree at 50 mph per witnesses and skid marks, as they say "Till death do you part") many of my class mates, Graduated, Dad showed them the door, they did not knwo how to boil water so they had to get married right away.. Good number of them were divorced twice before I got married. My brother .. Just once. before I got married.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the given is on gas and I just ordered a pizza stone for the given. I had heard about the uneven heat distribution.

I must as a pastry chef have an oven I can trust since I bake constantly and when we will be away in Jan I have a very important cake I must create for a baby shower.

Thank you so much for the information.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Do not do cakes (By choice not due to any deficiency in the oven.. I just do not care that much for cake) Have done cakes in the past but not in the RV.
Thom and I don't like cake too much either. We seem to eat way too much with cake so instead I take the cake recipe and just make cup cakes instead. Much easier to control what and how much you eat. I also don't put the frosting on them until we go to eat them. Much easier to store them in a freezer bag without the frosting on them. It's also easier to take them someplace and then just have the frosting there for people to put how much they want on them instead of me piling it on, lol.
As a matter of fact I will be making Pumpkin Pie cupcakes today for a Wednesday morning meeting he has this week, it's his turn to bring something and I already have the pumpkin puree that I made a few months ago.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #5

Hi All,
We'll second the pizza stone idea. My DW loves to bake for the kids, and of course I have to ensure the quality of said product. We've done a couple small dishes as well. The stone definitely helps even the heating. Still we place a baking rack on top of it keeps the heat from burning the bottom of whatever is being cooked. We don't use the oven rack as there is so little room above the burner. The only thing with the stone is it takes a lot longer to preheat the oven. But its usually worth the wait!

Enjoy!

Tom
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more thing I will mention.. MEASURE THE OVEN TEMP, do not trust the dial.. I have a sticker on my dial (Add 50 degrees to what recipe calls for) actually it's more like 10%.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival6 View Post
Hi All,
We'll second the pizza stone idea. My DW loves to bake for the kids, and of course I have to ensure the quality of said product. We've done a couple small dishes as well. The stone definitely helps even the heating. Still we place a baking rack on top of it keeps the heat from burning the bottom of whatever is being cooked. We don't use the oven rack as there is so little room above the burner. The only thing with the stone is it takes a lot longer to preheat the oven. But its usually worth the wait!

Enjoy!

Tom
Thank you for the info. Yes an oven thermometer is important and in the list to get along with one for the refrigerator. I did notice the given was running hot while baking. A good timer is also important which I also use.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

Round pizza stone seems to do the trick!
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #9

We are home foodies, rarely eat out except an odd bakery we can't pass by or a local dish you just can't miss. Have done roasts and some cakes but found my yorkshires ended up like hockey pucks in the gas stove and the fruit in my cakes hit the bottom. Thanks for tip on the pizza stone it's on the list to get.

Hubby cooks wonderful meals, but doesn't bake except helping me when I do. All's good, we can both generally do most things equally so if one's away other does and so on.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Only use a wireless, remote thermometer to measure oven temperature. It's amazing how quickly the oven will cool from a 10 second peek in the oven by opening the door. Once you have the temperature control calibrated and a pizza stone or tiles to help keep the temperature more even, it's surprisingly nice to use. Due to its small size and minimal insulation, even a fan blowing towards the oven will cause disappointment with results.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote