Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Banks May Not Finance Full Timers

I received an email today from Lazydays RV when asking about some prices of motorhomes. The salesman in the email message posted the following:

There is a change coming October 1st, The Banks are no longer going to finance Full Time RV owners. It has something to do with the government requiring the banks to set up escrow accounts ( ins. & taxes.) The banks are not willing to do this. This is all new, I just heard about this today. Our business office is best suited for answering any questions concerning this topic.

Has anyone else heard this??? Really curious as we're planning on going full time in the next 2 years and purchasing a larger motorhome.
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
a full timer who sets up a permanet address should be exemt from the requirement
big thing is my address is 123 any street ctc
then reg your motor home to that address and have all your business mail
cc statements ,social security and medicare mail going to that address'and reg to vote from that address. i remember in a bus law class i took in college (about a 100 years ago) the question of residence came up and this is the response my old feeble mind remembers .this would make you a resident not a transient
brianj
Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
paz

It's a little like don't ask - don't tell. If your mail forwarding address has a street number, don't tell it's a mail forwarder. Officially, our address includes PMB (private mail box) followed by a number, but we always write the number preceded by "#" instead of by "PMB."

That being said, if you're thinking about buying a new rig, you might want to consider doing so while you still have a fixed address just in case. Getting a loan should also be easier before you retire (assuming you're not yet retired).

BTW, you have excellent taste in motorhomes.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #4

Try Essex Credit. They did an excellent job of getting my MH financed. Banks are unwilling to finance MHs right now. They figure that if you suddenly have problems that you will let the MH go behind on payments before the house.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see what having an escrow account (or not) has to do with being a full timer. You don't need a fixed address to have an escrow account.

My guess is that some sales guy heard a rumor and it got distorted.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
As part of our wonderful new healthcare law, beginning Oct 1 any bank loaning money to a full time RVer must collect a year of property tax and sales tax up front and escrow it. There may be something else in there also. Greg Gerber had it on his report yesterday. Many banks are choosing not to lend to a fulltimer instead of going through all of the hoops. What property tax would we pay and whom to is the question.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't see what having an escrow account (or not) has to do with being a full timer. You don't need a fixed address to have an escrow account.

My guess is that some sales guy heard a rumor and it got distorted.
Yes everyone likes to blame stuff on the government but never acknowledge when a government rule saves your A$$$. How did 30 years of political deregulation of the banking industry work out for us! Great right - not! I doubt a government rule is involved here and in any event there are ways to handle this as pointed out above.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
As part of our wonderful new healthcare law, beginning Oct 1 any bank loaning money to a full time RVer must collect a year of property tax and sales tax up front and escrow it. There may be something else in there also. Greg Gerber had it on his report yesterday. Many banks are choosing not to lend to a fulltimer instead of going through all of the hoops. What property tax would we pay and whom to is the question.
Olive..rings true for me. Who is Greg Gerber and what is the "report" you reference? If I assume he is an info source on rules/regs..how does one access the report?

Thanks!
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The gov't doesn't even know fulltimers exist, so it seems unlikely they made a special regulation for them. Might be something about people with no known address, though.

What does healthcare have to do with bank loan regulations? I don't doubt there are some gems of truth in this rumor, but I'm totally lost...
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry87Air View Post
Olive..rings true for me. Who is Greg Gerber and what is the "report" you reference? If I assume he is an info source on rules/regs..how does one access the report?

Thanks!
RVDailyReport is Greg's daily RV news site, but I can't find anything on the topic at hand.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #11

It's in his report for yesterday. No mention of it being associated with the health care bill and not a lot of details on it.

Maybe it's something similar to mortgage companies escrowing property taxes and insurance premiums to be sure they get paid on stick houses?
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here's the link to the article others are referring to.

It's buried in the article. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #13

Thanks to route66 and radams for explaining who Greg Gerber is and how to access his reports. I bookmarked his site.
I read his piece and it would seem an RV loan for fulltimers will be treated much like a conventional mortgage on a stick house. I read no reference to what legislation this change is part of.
I am not a full timer so have paid little attention to legalalities concerning fulltimers...but I've picked up at campfires stories that some states are better than others to establish residencies from which to full time. Do all/most/few full timers have a residenticy established as a home base..if even a POB somewhere?
Here in Indiana personal property such as an RV or boat are subject to property tax from both state and county.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a link to another article outlining the issue:

New federal regulations to limit loans to full-time RVers > RV Daily Report |