RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #1

Basement A/C too cold

I have an Itasca Suncruiser that has the basement air and it blows too cold. The fan speed is only slightly different on low or high and Iím wondering what would happen if I shut off the breaker to one of the compressor so it didnít put out as much cooling.
BobnMelba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You have the exact opposite problem of everyone else on this forum with a basement AC!!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my basement AC so I am intimately familiar with their workings.

I'm pretty sure both the compressors are on the same breaker. The only way to take one compressor off line is to pull the correct wire at the circuit board.

You may want to check your thermostat. Do you have the stat set to 74 and the internal temp is lower??
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

That's an odd one. You could have a residential HVAC tech check it out.

BTW we think our basment air is great .
Old 09-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2000 Suncruiser. Both compressors come on if the temperature is greater then 3 - 5 degrees above thermostat setting. Once temp gets down to that range the 2nd compressor shuts off. I think there is a breaker in the breaker panel for the 2nd compressor also.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:06 AM   #5

There is a breaker in your panel for each compressor. Shut off #1 and the unit won't run at all. Just shut off #2 for less cooling.

Most likely bad thermostat. Compare temp on stat to another thermometer
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When DW thinks the AC is blowing too cold, she just closes the vent above that is blowing directly on her. Otherwise, I would suggest raising the thermostat setting. As others have stated there is a breaker for the 2nd compressor, but it only comes on if the t-stat is set 3+ degrees below the ambient temp.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
You have the exact opposite problem of everyone else on this forum with a basement AC!!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my basement AC so I am intimately familiar with their workings.

I'm pretty sure both the compressors are on the same breaker. The only way to take one compressor off line is to pull the correct wire at the circuit board.

You may want to check your thermostat. Do you have the stat set to 74 and the internal temp is lower??

That is not true, each compressor is on a separate breaker in the main electrical panel; however, number 1 compressor must be running before number 2 compressor will run, so turning off number 2 compressor is the only choice.
AFChap is correct.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #8

Why don't you just up the temp on the thermostat? In all my years on this forum, and reading of the basement A/C units, of which we have one, I have NEVER heard of one blowing too cold. I sure as heck wish I (we) had that problem. We're presently in Yuma AZ right now and, daily it's been right at 108, plus or minus. So far, in the 6 days we've been here, ours has kept up with our demands which, are around 79-80 inside the coach.

But, needless to say, that basement A/C pretty much is on about 10-11 hours a day in this kind of heat. I'd talked about removing it and changing selected parts, i.e. fans etc. quite some time ago and, there were nice folks that chimed in about where to get the parts needed. I will need that again in a few weeks after we return back home and can settle down for projects, IN AN AIR CONDITIONED MOTORHOME GARAGE!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Why don't you just up the temp on the thermostat? In all my years on this forum, and reading of the basement A/C units, of which we have one, I have NEVER heard of one blowing too cold. I sure as heck wish I (we) had that problem. We're presently in Yuma AZ right now and, daily it's been right at 108, plus or minus. So far, in the 6 days we've been here, ours has kept up with our demands which, are around 79-80 inside the coach.

But, needless to say, that basement A/C pretty much is on about 10-11 hours a day in this kind of heat. I'd talked about removing it and changing selected parts, i.e. fans etc. quite some time ago and, there were nice folks that chimed in about where to get the parts needed. I will need that again in a few weeks after we return back home and can settle down for projects, IN AN AIR CONDITIONED MOTORHOME GARAGE!
Scott
I thought you rebuild yours back in 2013?

OEM parts source: https://www.arvparts.com/coleman_mac...-871_parts.pdf
Duner has replacement part ID's and numbers, but I can't find them now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I thought you rebuild yours back in 2013?

OEM parts source: https://www.arvparts.com/coleman_mac...-871_parts.pdf
Duner has replacement part ID's and numbers, but I can't find them now.
Ray,
Nope, no rebuild. The only thing I've done to that basement A/C is replace one of those dumb-a$$ lubable bronze bushings with a permanently lubed, sealed bearing. I can't believe that, even in 2004 when my coach was born, that someone at the factory that designed that basement A/C unit, would design it with a bushing that, you had to lift up the tiny little door, put a drop of oil or two in there and close the door. Are we talking CAVEMAN or what?

And, the really good part is, Winnebago/Itasca both stipulate someplace in the anal's maintenance, that you're supposed to yank that a/c unit out once a year and tear 1/2 the sheet metal off of it, and lube that stupid busing and then put it all back together. Sealed bearings have been around since Christ was a pup. So, all they had to do was install one in that bushings place and charge another $5.00 to Winne or Itasca.
Scott
Old 10-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #11

Oops,
duplicate post, sorry. Mods, you can kick this out at your discretion.
Scott
Old 10-03-2020, 03:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnMelba View Post
I have an Itasca Suncruiser that has the basement air and it blows too cold. The fan speed is only slightly different on low or high and Iím wondering what would happen if I shut off the breaker to one of the compressor so it didnít put out as much cooling.

You have a problem everyone wants, try turning temp up and use a fan.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
You have a problem everyone wants, try turning temp up and use a fan.
The OP's seems like a weird complaint, at first. But I'm thinking maybe it's because of a large thermostat differential. If it's too large, say 2į or more, then the unit would come on but then take a long time before the stat got satisfied to turn everything off.

We had a similar problem, maybe the same as the OP. The stat differential was good, about 1į, but it would call for cooling and not get satisfied before we were shivering cold. What worked, and it took a few tries, was to direct a nearby vent to blow more directly towards the stat. Blowing straight on was too much and caused short cycling but aiming in the general direction did the trick. Needless to say, I haven't touched that vent in many years...
Old 10-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #14

To touch on the above posters comment. Also think about a heat source that might be near the stat. Tv, open all cavity to basement etc
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote