Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #29

All these objections to a wordy sign. But don't people love reading while in the bathroom? This particular sign fulfills their needs, and also provides instruction for people who need it. What's not to like?

And for me, anyway, visuals apparently aren't necessarily better than words. I understood the verbiage on the OP's sign, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the guy is doing in the bottom right box with the red X on it in the sign posted above.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
How about a sign directing them to the campgrounds bath house ?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
All these objections to a wordy sign. But don't people love reading while in the bathroom? This particular sign fulfills their needs, and also provides instruction for people who need it. What's not to like?

And for me, anyway, visuals apparently aren't necessarily better than words. I understood the verbiage on the OP's sign, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the guy is doing in the bottom right box with the red X on it in the sign posted above.
At the risk of going over the line (moderator can feel free to delete this post), I believe that the majority ...not everybody but the majority, if using a bathroom in a motorhome that is not their own to do a #2, that they aren't there to relax and read. Most would want to do it as quickly as possible and to get out with the least amount of fuss.

It's not that I didn't "understand" the verbiage on the OP's sign, it's just that I am guessing that most do not want to read through a lengthy list of what to do and not to do. But that's just my opinion based on my own bias and I may be entirely wrong. If I am wrong, then posting a list like that may be just fine. If I was taking a #2 in the OP's bathroom, I'm almost sure it would cause me some stress to have to read through a lengthy list of things. I may be in the minority here, however. I think I'd rather just have two or three concise points on a sign.

However, going along with those who do not let others use their bathroom, should I have the urge to do a #2 while visiting another's motorhome, I'd do everything I could do to hold it until I could get to a public facility or my own toilet.

Yeah, there was a lot of discussion over the image in the bottom right during the Olympics. Most thought that it portrayed "no doing drugs" ...???

And, I'm not sure if there are any words that I'd want to use to show what's being asked the second sign ...in that case, the image is the ONLY way to quickly get the point across. I think it is a very effective image that would be extremely difficult to use words to get the point across as quickly.

To OP: if having overnight guests, perhaps you could print out the list and give it to them to read ahead of time. That way, they would be prepared when using the toilet for the first time and could preemptively ask questions if confused.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
And the second one makes me laugh the few times I've observed it posted over a toilet ...even though it's a bit crude.
I love it. I have worked at places that needed this sign many times.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
.........Its simple, when guests ask, my reply to them is, sure, I'll show you how it works.........(Lots of water in the bowl)even how to turn the fan on/off. This way, with a hands on demonstration, a lot less chance of problems or something getting broke. Not one problem to date........
Old 07-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
If the fan is running and all widows are closed it forms a low pressure in the room. When you open the toilet the fumes from the tank are drawn inside.

Thanks, I will make sure this doesn't happen. Darn, now I need a sign [emoji12]
LCDRAKAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:46 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oatmeal;

Good idea.

My sister traveled with us a few weeks ago and never seen or used a toilet like the one in the MH. We showed her how to prep and flush, but I think she was a little embarrassed / intimated by it. A small sign similar to what you mentioned may have made her a little more comfortable. I'm going to work on one, maybe laminate it, and keep it in the cupboard. I'll pull it out and display it in the bathroom if we have guests.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

(I used to ride on submarines as a civilian intelligence officer. I loved the briefings the crew would provide me on how to correctly use and flush the head.)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Our solution.....we don't have any friends!!!
Works for me.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
We aim to please... You aim too, please... Aim............... DOWN!!!

Your mommy's not here... clean up after yourself!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #38

iRV2 No Limits Club
I always read signs.

By the time I got done with the one proposed it may very well be too late.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RVLola.... Frankly, the thing that worries me about the wording of your sign is that steps 2 through 4 indicate that you yourself need a refresher on toilet operation. Boondocking or not, if you minimize your water usage in the toilet to that extent you will eventually have black tank problems. The essential ingredient is plenty of water. If that means you have to resupply more frequently, so be it. Rule 4-- seriously? Grab some MORE paper and wipe out the bowl? While you're already minimizing the water? Do you WANT a clog? Just grab that spray handle and flush the bejesus out of everything!!

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Perfect solution az99. My rules are no #2 in the coach and no toilet paper in the toilet.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a sign on the sailboat we had previously -
"Do not put anything in the head that you have not already eaten!"
Kind of said everything and is readily available in Marine stores.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #42

Thanks JFXG! Good point.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote