Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Bathroom Sink Drain

My MH Bathroom drain was not draining . I tried Hot water, baking soda with vinegar at different times. It worked a little bit for every trial,(hot water) or (baking soda and Vinegar) but then will clogged again in about 3 to 7 days. I disassemble the piping today and this is what I found ( see attachment). The rubber part was installed toward the sink. I pulled the rubber. My questions are:

1. What is the correct orientation of the rubber with respect to drain flow. I thought it was installed wrong.
2. Since I pulled it off, and rip the rubber, can I buy rubber replacement? or have to replace the whole?

3. What is its purpose?

We are new to RV'ing. Just bought this MH Oct 2020.

sun47me1208
2014 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2019 GMC Canyon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201227_205409.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	312642  
sun47me1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #2

It is called a HepvO waterless drain trap
https://hepvo.com/

Flow direction should be marked on it (smaller end is the outlet side)

Ribs should be DOWN if mounted in horizontal position

Shouldn't be anything sticking out either end....looks like it has been damaged/turned inside out??

RV Installation Info
https://hepvo.com/wp-content/uploads...ons-June19.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Had exactly the same issue but kitchen sink, same part in picture. It’s restricting the flow and or acting as a trap. Mine had no trap under the sink, I cut the rubber glove part out and reinstalled. Has worked great ever since.
KohtangFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Had exactly the same issue but kitchen sink, same part in picture. It’s restricting the flow and or acting as a trap. Mine had no trap under the sink, I cut the rubber glove part out and reinstalled. Has worked great ever since.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohtangFred View Post
The 'rubber glove' part WAS what prevents sewer gasses from coming back in your RV

Might as well just have a 'pipe' on the line vs ANY 'trap'

Sorry but not a correct way to resolve your issue

Open the LINKS and read up on that Waterless Drain Trap
Old 12-27-2020, 11:13 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But Kotang, if you start getting bad gray tank ODORS, the missing rubber is the reason; you just need to replace; maybe damaged from age, or wrong chemicals?
Old 12-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #7

bathroom sink drain

Thanks to all who commented. I went to the link Old-Biciut suggested and learned about the HEPVO waterless drain pipe. I understand its purpose and the correct way to instal. Who ever installed it the first time did it wrong. I checked the kitchen sink and it was also installed wrong, the ribbed part was up instead of down per instruction of manufacturer. I have not disassembled to see if the rubber part was also extending on its end.

thanks again. This Forum is very useful for Newbies like me.

Sun47me1208
2014 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2019 GMC Canyon
sun47me1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #8

Typically high quality RV MFG work/job performance.

"Hey Ralph. Today you are doing plumbing install. Don't worry it is just simple install. Here are the traps...they just hand screw onto the piping under the sinks. Easy-Peasy. Let me know when you are done."

"Say Boss. Does it matter which way the go on?"

"Nope---just screw them on. If you get all of them done you can help with installing the Flush System Anti-Siphon Valves. They go in the sink cabinets----just connect to the two water lines."

"Thanks Boss....2 promotions in one day. This is a Great Job! And to think I was just picking up trash/sweeping the factory floor yesterday."
Old 12-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohtangFred View Post
That's a great idea!!

Next summer when the weather gets hot and your coach starts smelling like a sewer, you'll know exactly the problem.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #10

For those the have the duck bill valve....is there not the room or height under sink to put a standard p trap?
Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
But Kotang, if you start getting bad gray tank ODORS, the missing rubber is the reason; you just need to replace; maybe damaged from age, or wrong chemicals?

I thought that might be a problem, after this part it changes over to flex pipe that goes down then up and back down. It looked like that would act as a trap. Will keep my eyes and nose aware to make sure not getting sewer gases.

Tags
sink