Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2023, 06:26 PM   #1

Battery Boosters

I assume this has been a topic and maybe a silly question. Is traveling with a battery booster recommended? My daughter borrowed my car and she left something on and the battery drained. She wasn't parked where she could plug in a battery charger. I was looking at available battery boosters and I started reading about 4250 amp booster for large gas and diesel engines. Seems like overkill for a car (and @$350.00) but I will purchase if it is something I should have for my motorhome. Most if not all of my use is at RV parks. I am not boondocking but I may spend a night at a rest area or in a Walmart parking lot.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
RayFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 06:34 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I carry a smaller battery booster that will start the SUV we tow.

Our motorhome has house battery and chassis battery. We can start the coach or start the generator. Different batteries so I feel we have a little backup.

The more battery backup options you have the better.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #3
Community Moderator

I carry a portable booster pack to start the car if needed.

I figure the motorhome has a “boost switch” which will connect my house batteries to the chassis if needed.

The booster pack could start the generator if all else failed, and then the generator would charge all batteries.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:23 PM   #4

I now carry a dbpower 2000A booster pack after I ran the batteries down on our boat and another boater jumped off both of my 5.7 engines with one. They are amazing and handy. Just have to remember to move it from vehicle to vehicle and charge it after each use.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:29 PM   #5

For a car/truck. Yes!
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:32 PM   #6

I bought a cheap one from Amazon back in 2018. It's listed at 600 amps but it has worked fine to start regular gasoline engine cars the 2 or 3 times I've had to use it. I doubt it would start a diesel engine.

Not positive but I would think something in the 2000 and higher amp range would work for just about anything we drive. There are plenty of them listed online for a lot less than$350.

Something to think about. Before I bought mine, because I am very forgetful,,, I specifically looked for one that that would hold its charge for a long time. The one I got holds for 6 months, which reminds me, it's about time to charge.

I don't know anything about this brand but the specs look good and it has good reviews. It's stated to have a standby time of over a year.

Gooloo Portable Starter Battery
Old 02-02-2023, 09:41 PM   #7

For about $100 you can get a 1000amp booster. Comes in a 8x11 carrying case. Has a USB port along with the battery cable clamps. I carry one in the car because you never know when a car battery takes a dump.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:25 AM   #8

When I upgraded to lithium batteries, I installed a DC-DC charger to protect my alternator. As a consequence, I can use the chassis battery to start the generator, but not use the coach battery to start the engine. So I carry one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D42U0VO/
I used it to start the engine once when it was low in my driveway. Has also come in handy to start other people's vehicles on a couple of occasions while camping. I've got one in each of my cars as well as in the motorhome.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:36 AM   #9

I carry this one. It has saved me several times, even here at home. Never leave home without it.

https://tinyurl.com/bdzetyuk
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Walmart has the battery jump start that are about twice the size of a pack of cigarettes and are USB rechargeable. I have on and have used it on several occasions for myself and to help others. It's amazing how small and compact it is and will jump-start a car.

I keep it in the back of the car and pull it out every once in a while to charge it up.

Yes, in my opinion it is a good thing to have, just for one reason that you identified.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:11 AM   #11

One of utube mechanics I see a lot and respect had blown top battery with plates exposed. Out of 3 smaller sized jump packs he tested this was the cheapest of the three and only the one that got V8 truck started and to garage. They go on sale like $10ish off once in a while it was when I put in my CART.
EDIT gray one is on sale now.
AstroAI Car Jump Starter, 2000A 12V 8-in-1 Battery Jump Starter, Up to 7.0L Gas & 3.0L Diesel Engines, 18000mAh Quick Charge 3.0 Power Bank, Informative LCD Screen with Cigarette Adapter, Jumper Cable https://a.co/d/cxYwXwG
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
One of utube mechanics I see a lot and respect had blown top battery with plates exposed. Out of 3 smaller sized jump packs he tested this was the cheapest of the three and only the one that got V8 truck started and to garage. They go on sale like $10ish off once in a while it was when I put in my CART.
EDIT gray one is on sale now.
AstroAI Car Jump Starter, 2000A 12V 8-in-1 Battery Jump Starter, Up to 7.0L Gas & 3.0L Diesel Engines, 18000mAh Quick Charge 3.0 Power Bank, Informative LCD Screen with Cigarette Adapter, Jumper Cable https://a.co/d/cxYwXwG
Just to add,, I bought an AstroAI clamp on amp/multimeter a year or two ago that has worked flawlessly. Tends to make me think that company is putting out a good product at a decent price.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:30 PM   #13

I carry a large Cat battery booster mainly for the convenience not that I think I will need it. I am usually plugged in so I have my batteries charging. If the MH won't start the generator probably will, which will charge the batteries. I have the combiner switch to connect the house and chassis batteries when needed. I also have a TOAD with jumper cables. I have never needed it for the MH, but have jumped off the TOAD once or twice.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I now carry a dbpower 2000A booster pack after I ran the batteries down on our boat and another boater jumped off both of my 5.7 engines with one. They are amazing and handy. Just have to remember to move it from vehicle to vehicle and charge it after each use.
I bought a Yarber brand 3000A 23800AH lithium jump starter for $90 that does as advertised. It came with a warranty but the Chinese seller disappeared a month later.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery