Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Battery concern

In the process of cleaning the corrosion in the chassis battery compartment I pulled both batteries and noticed that both were bulging a little on the sides. The batteries are not quite 4 years old. I have had a considerable problem with off-gassing. I know the AGM batteries would solve that problem but there is not an extra $600.00 in our budget so guess I will replace the existing batteries with like batteries. When not in use the coach is normally plugged into shore power.

Questions are: What could have caused the batteries to swell/bulge? Is a little swelling normal? I have put the coach up for the winter and don’t plan on using it again for probably 3-4 months. (StaBil, oil change done, etc). I had rather not buy two batteries now if I’m not going to use the coach but I do need to be able to run the propane heater when it freezes. It will be plugged into shore power unless plugging to shore power without batteries will cause a problem. Can I run the propane heater without the chassis batteries in the coach and if so will being connected to shore power without batteries do any harm? Also, weather permitting; we normally try to drive it once a month but am concerned about any damage that might happen if there are no batteries in the coach.

Advise and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

Battery concern correction

In my post I said chassis battery but I meant to say the house batteries. Sorry.
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

My Centennial house batteries were made in April of `11 and already show slight bulging. I bought my MH the last day of May and they have been properly charged. I don't remember if they were bulging then I got it, but noticed it yesterday.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

Considerable out gassing? I think you could have a converter problem. What brand of converter do you have? You might check the voltage from the converter to see what it is putting out.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RJ,
I could not find any info in your profile as to what type of RV you have.
I suspect you either have a faulty or outdated voltage converter. Newer style converters have 3-4 charging stages to minimize out gassing and overheating of the batteries/cases.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #6

Check voltage

Some swelling us normal over time

Over charge will kill page batteries

13.5 mean float charge
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check them with a hydrometer. About $10 or less. Tells you if all the cells are OK.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Off gassing and bulging are signs of overcharging. If you just replace the batteries you will be in the same spot 3 or 4 years from not. You should use a good three stage charger.
Most people do not have to cleanup their battery compartment and work to prevent corrosion on their batteries.
The batteries are not the problem. The problem is the charging system you are using.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #9

Your furnace is powered by the 12v house batts/converter I would imagine, so no batts it will not run. As others have said your converter is more than likely over charging you batterys, causing your issues. As far as the swelling goes that doesn't mean the batts are bad the only way you will know that is with an inexpensive hydrometer. AGM's will not solve the problem, you will just burn them up until you check/fix the overcharge issue.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery