Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #15

The isue is not so much the charging of the auto battery, but why it is draining in the first place. When the radio is in aux mode it is getting low power( house/aux batteries are fully charged, auto battery is down) when i hit the momentary switch the auto battery is jumped to the house battery, the radio gets full power and my step works perfectly. In other words some accessories are still pulling power from the auto battery when, as far as i can tell, they shouldn't be. I am currently digging through schematics and wiring looking for a misswire a previous owner may have made. Just dont want to get to deep in and realize that i just have a setting wrong. I will try to check my solenoids and any diodes i might have in the system.
puplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my coach, the steps, slides, and jacks are powered by the chassis battery. The radio will operate off of either depending on my dash switch.

Shore hookup (or generator) charges only my house batteries, alternator charges both house and chassis.

On your dash, top switch is to switch the radio source. Bottom switch is the house battery main shutoff switch.

Middle switch to the right (momentary) is your boost. Not sure about to the left; is it momentary as well? If not, then it would appear that it would link chassis and house batteries (like the momentary boost) long term, but not sure why you would want to, other than to charge both from shore/gen.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
On my coach, the steps, slides, and jacks are powered by the chassis battery. The radio will operate off of either depending on my dash switch.

Shore hookup (or generator) charges only my house batteries, alternator charges both house and chassis.

On your dash, top switch is to switch the radio source. Bottom switch is the house battery main shutoff switch.

Middle switch to the right (momentary) is your boost. Not sure about to the left; is it momentary as well? If not, then it would appear that it would link chassis and house batteries (like the momentary boost) long term, but not sure why you would want to, other than to charge both from shore/gen.
This is how i would expect the system to work...
Old 09-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A previous owner could have rewired the radio to run ONLY on the chassis battery in order to not lose presets/clock when the house battery is turned off.

I had that issue with mine; the radio could be operated on either the house or the chassis battery. Problem was that IF it was on the house battery and I turned those off, all of my presets and clock setting were erased. I switched JUST the constant hot (the one that keeps those presets/clock) to ONLY my chassis battery, while leaving the main hot run through the switch. The drain for that is very small, so I haven't experienced the chassis battery going dead (yet?).

It's possible that the previous owner rewired so that BOTH the constant and the ignition hot for the stereo no longer go through your switch, and always run off the chassis battery. Although it seems like even that should not drain your chassis batter that fast.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #19

Sounds like your switch settings are correct. You could start by disconnecting the chassis battery and find out what doesn't work. You could also measure the draw with an amp meter to find out how big the load is. The problem with the older coaches is many have had wiring changes for whatever reason and it sometimes doesn't make any sense. Check for cargo lights, antenna amplifiers, possibly the fridge if it works on 12 volts.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #20

Hey I found the issue. looks like one of the previous owners wired the stereo in wrong. thanks for all the help!

Tags
battery