Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 01:34 AM   #1

Battery Disconnect

My 93' Fleetwood Southwind was starting fine by hitting disconnect switch on then turn ignition to start...my problem was rv was running and l went to turn off 12v battery disconnect but accidentally hit switch for coach battery which shut down engine not using key. Now when l hit coach battery l can hear the solenoid engage but no dash lights and engine does not turn over.... did l blow something by using battery disconnect (accidentally) in shutting off engine instead of turning off key to shut engine off?
Rowze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 06:16 AM   #2

Are you talking about 1 or 2 disconnect switches? Generally one on the dash that connects both sets of batteries for an emergency start and one by the door that disconnects the house batteries.

What is the voltage of both battery banks?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #3

Check out the topic “starter wont engage” in class a general discussion. There might be some info for you that helps.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

Are your disconnect switches original ? Can you hear them clicking on and off when you switch them?
Old 10-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #5

Sounds like you should try to bypass the disconnect relay .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #6

Don, they are original l believe and they do engage when l push on or off still.. it's just that becuz of hitting that switch when engine was running it must have shorted out something becuz even though they still click l get no power to ignition or dash lights or gauges now!
Old 10-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #7

153Stars, how can l bypass battery disconnect?
Old 10-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #8

Argosy, l have above door chassis disconnect switch n main battery disconnect switch which is what l turn on first then button on dash that l push while turning on ignition but when l used main battery disconnect switch to shut down engine (accidentally) l now have no dash lights or ignition lights or cranking of starter. Did l blow a fuse in the Battery control center? RV is stuck at another place so l have not been able to get back to it to check anything yet.... thank you for some options to try...
Old 10-27-2021, 06:25 PM   #9

So to temporary bypass disconnect switches.. use all safety precautions.. and then have someone try the chassis switch and you put your hand on it and make sure you got the correct one.. label it with zip tie..
Next.. use cell phone with camera and flash and record where each wire goes and to which side.. you will forget.. so record them.. then just try a 2ft piece of number 6 gauge wire.. and put 2 eyelets.. that fit lugs.. and you could try that.. I don't recommend this..

What I recommend.. is take pos off chassis and coach batteries.. then record both disconnects.. it is just too tight in there.. you will short something out.. or cause fire..
Just be even more trouble.. use all safety precautions.. unplug coach.. test all forms of electric is dead..
Believe it or not.. the disconnect switches are made to be cleaned.. I found that out after I replaced mine.. really at that old.. I would put in new.. just Google.. I got mine off eBay..
So.. the real problem is.. that the wires connection get very corroded over time and need cleaning up.. I mean real deep cleaning.. so get 2 cans electric contact cleaner. And can of battery sealer it comes in spray can and it comes out red color and seals everything.. you might still find some red paint looking stuff left on .. from 1st it was sealed 22yrs ago.. . and round wire brushes to clean the corrosion off the plug and eyelets and lugs..
You have to do all of them.. there are 2 disconnects and one aux start relay.. and each and every cable to batteries.. so take your time.. double check connections and plans on one day for each switch.. so 3 or 4 days.. that is about 1500.00 in shop time or even more..

After you get the chassis disconnect ... all the wires disconnected.. you unscrew ds. And take it apart.. inside is the contact points.. they can be cleaned and filed..
It's the corrosion on the inside the disconnect switch.. on contacts that are giving you the problem.. and the corrosion on the wires.. I found it easier to just install 2 new d's. And cleaned old ones up as spare

It's a lot of work.. but you save yourself $$$ in shop labor..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-27-2021, 06:42 PM   #10

If you blew a fuse.. it would be in fuse box at driver's lt foot under dash.. hope you are good at standing on head.. then i think there is another outside under hood..
If you post pictures better the ideas and opinions..
I can't remember off top of my head which fuse it is.. but check those too. You could blown one.. take a multi tool or long needle nose pliers and pull each one. The inside ones are really hard to get at.. so plan on some time.. take an assortment with you..

The switch on the dash.. I only use as an emergency start.. only for certain conditions...
The aux start.. sw on dash.. is rarely used.. there is a problem if you have to use it every time.. and yes.. when you replace disconnect switches also replace aux start relay.. it does more than you know.. it should not be called aux start relay.. that another story..
You most likely have a dead battery and if dead enough... it burns out the alternator..
SO check power on chassis and coach batteries.. and if over 3yr they need to be taken in to any auto parts store and tested.. the same with alternator.. if you don't know how to test alternator..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #11

You got a good explanation. Owners will put cables on one lug . A nut and bolt can do the same if you can't bend the cables around. You would want to keep from shorting to ground you could wrap with tape or rubber glove and tape .
It still make me wonder if you did blow some fuse trying to pull power through smaller wire not intended for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowze View Post
153Stars, how can l bypass battery disconnect?
Old 10-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But, YES, solenoids do go bad; had to replace BOOST solenoid on mine earlier this year, (would CLUNK, but not connect) .... BUTTTTTTT WHYYyyyyyyy? are you starting/ running engine on COACH batteries? Turning off Coach battery should not kill engine unless chassis battery DEAD or Disconnected?
Old 10-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #13

I could be wrong and now I'm confused re-reading first post But.. He has only made 4 posts ,he may said typed coach battery but really meaning chassis batt.
I subconsciously interpreted it, as he turned on chassis disconnect and started and accidentally shut off engine with chassis disconnect . Not sure if he tried to restart it with disconnect off.
Can original poster clarify if you consider coach as chassis battery. Coach battery and house battery are considered the same for what's inside..
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
But, YES, solenoids do go bad; had to replace BOOST solenoid on mine earlier this year, (would CLUNK, but not connect) .... BUTTTTTTT WHYYyyyyyyy? are you starting/ running engine on COACH batteries? Turning off Coach battery should not kill engine unless chassis battery DEAD or Disconnected?

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect