Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
If it is only stalling and the starter cranks right after, it is worth looking at the ballast resistor. It can kill ignition and they used to fail a lot in the day. Many folks would carry a spare in the glove box. It was so common.

It is a white Porcelain block with either 2 or 4 spade terminals and mounted with a single screw in the center. Wires just plug onto each end. Take the screw out, flip it around still plugged in and see the backside. It may show a blackened spot.

They are cheap enough, you might want to get one in case.
Where is this located? I will check it out.

Thanks.
amihailidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by amihailidis View Post
Where is this located? I will check it out.

Thanks.
In a dodge vehicle it is always mounted on the firewall just above the center of the engine. In a motorhome build, it is hard to say but it does heat up in normal operation which is why the porcelain body. It should be mounted on metal and should look like the photo. Wire from it would go to ignition coil primary + terminal. Maybe trace back from it. Other wire goes in harness back to ignition switch inside.

Here's a picture of a 2 wire ballast resistor. Parts list shows either could be used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ballast2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	372774  
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:21 PM   #17

Here’s the latest. When I turn on the engineer and look at my spark plug wire harness I can see sparking. The wires are definitely worn. So I am going to try in the meanwhile (since out on the road) to find some automotive high heat tape and wrap them up best that I can.
amihailidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by amihailidis View Post
Here’s the latest. When I turn on the engineer and look at my spark plug wire harness I can see sparking. The wires are definitely worn. So I am going to try in the meanwhile (since out on the road) to find some automotive high heat tape and wrap them up best that I can.
Many high heat tapes are conductive and may not help, may even make worse.

I might suggest convoluted tubing instead. Many folks call it split loom. It's cheap, black plastic and can be slid on wires without disconnecting because of the pre-split. Available at big box stores and auto parts places.

You may have seen it used on wiring harnesses.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you do have a chance to replace your plug wires. Please only take off one at a time. Match it to a replacement and install.

I hate to tell you how many times folks will pull them all off. Put new ones on and no start or backfires. So easy to get firing order off. One at a time, no chance of trouble.

Tags
battery