Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #15

Average battery life has become shorter as energy requirements have increased. Life span depends on usage—usually 6 to 48 months—yet only 30% of all batteries actually reach the 48-month mark. You can extend your battery life by hooking it up to a*solar charger*during the off months.

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
First lesson in Chem class never add acid to water, always add water to acid. The first is a good way to get a good acid burn. That was 53 years ago. LOL kinda like that weazy bear laugh, someone will remember.

LEN
Right on Len,
Back when I was a young fella (just when the earth was cooling) one of my duties in the shop as an apprentice was setting up the new batteries. In those days they came dry and the Electrolyte had to be mixed from pure sulphuric acid and distilled water to a specific gravity of 1.23 or so.
Batteries in today's world come with the Electrolyte in (wet) and pre mixed. If you add more Electrolyte you will change the SG and effect the life span of the battery.

Electrolyte of Lead Acid Battery
Electrolyte of lead acid battery cell is a solution of sulfuric acid and distilled water. The specific gravity of pure sulfuric acid is about 1.84 and this pure acid is diluted by distilled water until the specific gravity of the solution becomes 1.2 to 1.23. Although, in some cases specific gravity of diluted sulfuric acid are recommended by manufacturer of the battery depending upon type of battery, season and climatic condition.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej1144 View Post
Average battery life has become shorter as energy requirements have increased. Life span depends on usage—usually 6 to 48 months—yet only 30% of all batteries actually reach the 48-month mark. You can extend your battery life by hooking it up to a*solar charger*during the off months.

Sent from my LG-H910 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
If you maintain a full charge on a battery (not letting it run down less than 75% of full charge) a battery will last for many years. Allowing them to discharge and sit that way for any length of time will shorten their life at each occurrence.

My coach is plugged in 24/7/365 unless we are traveling and then it's plugged into campground power. My converter maintains the batteries at 13.5 - 13.6 VDC constantly. My batteries are currently Seven Years Old and I fully expect to see at least another two years from them or more.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #18

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Looking at your photos, it appears your four Trojan house batteries are flooded or Wet Cell batteries and will require a top up of distilled water every 6-12 weeks.
Your two Napa Chassis however look like they are No Maintenance Comercial batteries and Do Not require water added. The cell tops on these batteries are Not meant to be removed. These batteries should last you 6-8 years without fail if they are kept fully charged but don't remove the tops.
Thanks Dennis.

i had to add a fair bit of distilled water. i looked into each chamber and the plates were covered in fluid. i added until water was near the fiill port.

i have had these on shore power all but a couple of days since may. it was in storage from jan to may and i charged batteries weekly.

thanks everyone for your help.
jim
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #19

I would recommend completely shutting the power off before working the batteries or anything else electrical in the system for that matter. This will prevent you from accidentally shorting anything out in the electrical system.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
should i use power disconnects prior to adding water to batteries? any tips are appreciated. i have let this go too long and will be doing it today.

thanks

I think it would be a good idea to not be charging the batteries while adding water.
rcflyer1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
With regards to how much water. Fully charge the battery before you add water or you will find it over flowing the next time it is charged. If you can safely see into the cells, as you fill them you will notice that as the level reaches the full point surface suddenly looks like a fish eye lens instead of a dark hole. If you can't see in easily, get one of those small mirrors on a telescopic rod to assist. Make sure it is shielded by a plastic sleeve so it won't short out the battery. With respect to the other battery, (sealed) some can be opened and some can't. Basically it is maintenance free by design so...
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Nope, don't add acid. Who told you this, a kid at a parts counter ?

Charge the battery and the acid turns to water. Sulfuric acid boils at over 600 degrees. The water is what boils off.

If low, only add water.
Backwards!
When battery is dead acid is water. When fully charged the water is acid.
The reason dead batteries freeze in winter if not fully charged.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:24 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that deep cycle batteries benefit from being discharged to their safe minimum occasionally so that the charger can go into a charge mode that will desulfate.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Backwards!
When battery is dead acid is water. When fully charged the water is acid.
The reason dead batteries freeze in winter if not fully charged.
Yup, got it backwards.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
You can buy a fill kit that attaches to the battery and allows you to fill all cells at once. It stops at the correct level. It just stays on the battery once installed. I found you have to check it now and then to make sure the hoses stay connected, but it sure simplified the task.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Use a battery watering system. I installed a Flow rite system last year and it makes maintaining the batteries simple and easy.
Harshy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Great minds think alike
Old 09-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #28

actually deep cycle batteries need "formatting" 20-50 cycles to extend / prolong life
How to Prolong and Restore Lead-acid Batteries - Battery University
Battery University is a wonderful reference site on all things battery related
masdixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery