Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Battery was low...did I do something wrong???

Good Day Friends...

I need your opinions... This weekend we camped at a NASCAR event...drycamped. We used the genny for much of the weekend to run the AC as it was brutally hot. The last night there we shut off the genny around 8pm and then watched TV off and on all night. I had the flu and was awake and misserable most of the night...watching TV and opening and closing the fridge....

Toward morning, the inverter shut down and all juice stopped. I decided to leave the genny off and just pack up without any electrical assist. But ....stupidly...when I tried to retract the slides. they would not go back in. I started the engine to assist the slides and all went well, but then I tried to put up the levelers and they were not behaving well. I looked under the RV and the levelers looked horribly tilted. I think that the starting of the engine must have inflated the air system and somehow made the coach tilt forward.

After a nervewracking couple of minutes, the levelers retracted with lots of noise and creaks.

My question is for all of you....When I dump the air in my coach as I park...it seems that the coach inches forward. Is this normal?? ANd did I do something wrong to give the batteries the "boost" needed to get the slides in?? Should I have started the genny to give me the extra power instead of starting the engine???

Thanks for all of your thoughts...

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #2

You sure it was the flu? I think it's the jacks coming down at an angle that makes the coach creep. Mine does it when I retract them.

Why'd you turn the gen off if it was so hot?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had to turn genny off at 11pm per rules of the race track...
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

Inverting will discharge the batteries at rapid pace. It is never good to try to run any electrical motor while voltage is low. Low voltage creates high amperage resulting in possible damage to the component.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The coach will inch foward when dumping air due to brakes being locked and the axle rolling slightly when the bags are dumped, I thought the brakes were not holding when I dumped for the first time till I seen from the outside what it was doing. It will back up some when aired up again.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fansill,
The single incident you mention did no harm. Just get the coach batteries fully charged ASAP. The coach will move slightly when the bags are dumped. Depending on how the generator is wired, you may not have been able to start it if starting power is from the coach batteries.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Gary....

I was worried that I caused some lasting damage.

We made it home and I am reluctant to use the inverter now but Hubby likes his TV...

Do you think that I should start the gennie for the extra juice to get the slides in???

Please give me your opinion....

Faith

Tags
battery