Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Well, my story doesn't take any prizes for damage done but I'm a contender for the longest distance towed with the parking brake on.

On my maiden voyage I didn't release the parking brake on my Grand Cherokee toad when leaving home near Sacramento. Right away several people passed me and honked but even a stop and quick check didn't reveal to my rookie brain that the brake was on.

Once reaching Los Angeles while unhooking I noticed the brake had been on the entire time. I think the brake was already pretty worn because the tires didn't drag but the parking brake pads were shot.

Now part of our checklist includes the copilot watching as I pull forward a few feet to make sure the tires are turning and the steering wheel is tracking. We do this during the routine check of the lights so it doesn't really add much time to the process.

Just goes to prove that even if you think you've done the dumbest thing ever... you're not the first!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #16

Had just pulled into our campsite in Birmingham South campground and was about to unhook the toad, when I heard a womans voice yelling "Don't forget to put the brake on before you unhook". I looked around to see where the voice was coming from, and saw this woman sitting by an open window in her motorhome. I thanked her for the reminder. She then proceeded to tell me her story. Seems she was standing behind their toad as her husband was unhooking it. He had not put the brake on or put the car in park. The toad began rolling backwards knocking her over and ran over her legs breakng both of them. She was sitting in her motorhome with two casts on her legs. They were fulltimers. Everytime I unhook the toad, that womans story comes to mind.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #17

As soon as I hook up my Jeep GC, I push it away from the MH, so the tow bar arms lock. If I can't push it, I will know either I forgot to put the transfer case in neutral or the parking brake is still on.
I tie a light colored plastic bag on to the top center of the steering wheel. Then I can see if the Jeep's steering wheel moves when I make my first turn in the MH.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I left the parking brake on my Wrangler "once". Not enough to lock wheels, but enough to cause max smoke on the I-5 FW. After several well meaning folks waved at me and otherwise tried to let me know that I was burning something, I finally stopped and spent several minutes checking everything else before finally looking at the P-brake. Now, I don't ever set the parking brake while hooking up.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I left the steering wheel locked the second time I hooked up the MG fortunatly someone was watching as I started to leave. poor little thing wanted to turnaround and go home.Bob
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And don't forget to unlock the steering wheel! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...and make SURE the tranny is not in "park!"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually depends on the vehicle. On my toad, you put the tranny in PARK and the transfer case in neutral
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #21

I accidently locked the steering wheel the first time with the PT. 24 miles later, I replaced the two front tires. Now, we have a check list and routine that we follow everytime we hook up.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote