Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
If you are considering a coach longer than 26’, the Ford is your best bet. Smaller Class C is perfect for the Chevy. Towing capacity is higher for the Ford, if that is an issue.
thanks for the feedback. Yes, our minimum length 29', maximum length will be 36'. I think Im pretty much set on a Coachman Concord 300TS. We still have a couple years before we have to make a purchase. We are also anticipating innovations in technology that may come about. For example, more efficient engine packages, better Transmissions, stuff like that.

However, I like the look of the Concord. Mechanics are sound, and unlike the Viper or Aspect. The Concord is the only unit that DOES NOT have the shower in the bedroom. But all three do have the opposing slides. Which is what Im after.

We also anticipate to be paying somewhere around $100K to $120K, by the time we get around to purchasing a rig.
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #16

If my 8.1 W/ Allison tranny (235K miles on engine) would fit in my E-450 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Then I wouldn't have to stop so SWMBO can make calls when working out of the coach when traveling.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can wait for 2021ford 7.3 gas, with 10 speed is coming, rumor has it the Ford may resurrect the E550!
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is another thread on this same question. I posted a video that everyone should watch.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/pulli...10-381957.html

nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Here is another thread on this same question. I posted a video that everyone should watch.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/pulli...10-381957.html

wow, that is pretty stunning. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
If you can wait for 2021ford 7.3 gas, with 10 speed is coming, rumor has it the Ford may resurrect the E550!
I would love to see the performance of this motor
Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #21

Besides one being a Chevy and the other a Ford

Again, increase the GW and length of the box and you will see the Ford with about the same stats while the chevy stats come more in line or below those of the ford. i’m a chevy guy but there is a reason that so few of the class c units are on a chevy platform.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
Again, increase the GW and length of the box and you will see the Ford with about the same stats while the chevy stats come more in line or below those of the ford. i’m a chevy guy but there is a reason that so few of the class c units are on a chevy platform.
Seems like the video posted earlier doesn't bear this out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #23

That video is the equivalent of a 22-26 ft motor home. An increase in length of the box and load reduces the chevy performance. That is why you see most of the chevy chassis on class c’s smaller than 28’. Also you must take into account that this is a chevy produced film not an independent tester.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #24
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I have owned a E350 V10 28’ class C. I now own a 4500 6.0 29’ class C. I was very reluctant to go with the Chevy. But after a 200 mile round trip test drive to my mechanic for inspection. I really was impressed with the stock Chevy on the road. So I bought this rig based on floorplan.

I am a Ford guy since 1950. Over the years I have dabbled in other brands. But I have always come back to Ford. Heck, I even had a replica of the 1965 AC Cobra at one point. A wonderful machine. It saved my life more than once while I was being stupid. I was even a Ford guy after I put 100k on one of the very first 6.0 diesel engines they installed in an F250. My local Ford dealer helped me through those hard times. They even reimbursed me for a Ford dealer over charge in Canada when injector #2 quit for the second time.

All that aside. This stock Chevy just handles like a dream in cross winds & when being passed by big rigs. I really have to listen to hear if it downshifts on any given interstate hill. Yes it gets better MPG. It also has much more room in the cab to just turn around and go into the coach. I still worry about if I will get bit like has happened on older GM products I have had.

One last thing. I did almost all the handling modes to my E350. Plus the 5 Star tune. So I think I can say the Chevy is better, for now.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, ford