Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Best Lead Acid Bat for coach batteries

I would like some recommendations for replacements for my 2 coach batteries in my 2015 Class B+ motorhome. We currently have 2 deep Cylcle group 24 batteries. I have checked Walmart (Everstart), Costco (Interstate) and Sams Club (Duracell) batteries. All have 12 month warranties and I want to stick with the Low Cost Marine/RV lead acid batteries versus the much more expensive AGM batteries. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
rpgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgibbs View Post
I would like some recommendations for replacements for my 2 coach batteries in my 2015 Class B+ motorhome. We currently have 2 deep Cylcle group 24 batteries. I have checked Walmart (Everstart), Costco (Interstate) and Sams Club (Duracell) batteries. All have 12 month warranties and I want to stick with the Low Cost Marine/RV lead acid batteries versus the much more expensive AGM batteries. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you want cheap, they are all similar. If you want quality, you will pay more, BUT they will last longer and give better service to boot.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #3

If you can fit twice as many 6 volt GC batteries you will get a lot more capacity and true deep cycle batteries that will last many cycles, usually double or more life cycles and the true deep cycle batteries can tolerate deep discharges a lot better than the "marine" 12 volt batteries that wear a "deep cycle" name. My favorites are Napa GC2 batteries made by East Penn Deka.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you are staying with marine/RV flooded cell "deep cycle" batteries, you can flip a coin to choose among those three. Or any other with similar specs. All of those you named are private label brands, produced by one of the Big Four USA battery makers and sold under those private brand names. Choose the one priced to give you the most amp-hours per dollar.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #5

Those batteries are all not true deep cycle batteries. None of them have thick plates, more room for electrolyte top and bottom, etc. There are very, very few true 12V deep cycle batteries.

Those batteries you mention are $80 or so each and have 70 amp hours of capacity. You can buy a low cost but very capable AGM G31, 100 Ah Renogy or WindyNation battery on Amazon for about $200 each. Not a bad deal.

That is exactly what I did on my new MH. Has worked very well for a year and a half so far.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

Generally speaking I've had the best luck with NAPA and Interstate brand batteries. If your going to opt for a less expensive battery, I really don't think there is much difference anymore. I would just get what's the least expensive and be done with it.

If you have a Runnings in your area I thought several years ago that they had the lowest price.

I have NAPA Marine/RV batteries in my MH, but not the Legend series. Even within the same brand there can be a different tier or quality.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgibbs View Post
Personally I would just grab a couple of the ones you looked at. They will last just as long as the ones you are taking out because RV builders keep the costs down by using just ordinary batteries.

JMHO.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had very good luck with the sams club battery (Duracell aka East Pen) I would go to the largest with the largest group battery that you can fit.

I changed my battery case to fit the group 31 it about 60 lbs. More weight more lead plates. It's like $30 more but you get 60% more charge.than a g-24
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:34 PM   #9

With batteries you generally get what you pay for. After years of buying golf cart batteries, RV batteries and electric scissor lift batteries I have found Trojan batteries to be the best. Yes they cost more but they last longer and fail less.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Personally I would just grab a couple of the ones you looked at. They will last just as long as the ones you are taking out because RV builders keep the costs down by using just ordinary batteries.

JMHO.
I agree and what Gary said.

I am currently using batteries from all three of the sources you listed in my TOAD, MH, and boat. All are sercicable batteries.

So do you need the best or servicable?

I go for what is easy and cheap. Walamrt is the closest for remote location of my boat.

I found that a small solar charger to maintain battery charge over the winter extends the life of the battery.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the Duracell GC batteries from Sams Club. After a lot of research they seemed to have the best reviews, and were less costly than most others I looked at.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #12

Here is a good read... With pictures!
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #13

If looking tonstaybw FLA you will want to go with 6V GCs as they are good true deep cycle battys. Your choice whether to go budget ( Sams Club / East Penn or Costco /?) At $1/AH at 12V Or the Premuim brands that run 1.5X-2X $. I don't believe they last 1.5-2X as long so notveven a break even IMO.
https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:26 PM   #14

Trojan is about the best imo.
shootist is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries