Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Best RV GPS

Best RV GPS? Your opinions please
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #2

i think i understand what you're trying to get at, susan but i think you need to wuantify what "best" means. accuracy? update ability? poi's? we've been using a GPS in our motorhomes since as far back as i can recall. my hands down favorite was DeLorme's Street Atlas but it was PC based which kept me from interacting with it much. very flexible with a ton of POIs that could be integrated into the map. but alas it is no more.

nothing i've tried since has been better. we now use our built-in Rand McNally GPS for basic routing since it "knows" our MH length, width and weight. it's ok for what it does. while driving i have Waze running on my phone for traffic info and if severe weather is in the area i run Radar US instead of Waze. we have little need for POIs these days.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

Garmin....pick your poison!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #4

I use a 10" Android tablet with a built in GPS sensor, running the Co-Pilot Truckers app. The POI's are not RV specific but the routing is is perfect for a large vehicle.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #5

Phones and tablets are ok if you have a cell signal. I prefer a dedicated GPS. My RV has a Rand McNally built in the dash so I purchased a Garmin as a back up. Its like Coke vs Pepsi or Ford vs Chevy between the Garmin and RM. Both are good. My Garmin can be programmed for the height, length, width and weight of my RV.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i think i understand what you're trying to get at, susan but i think you need to wuantify what "best" means. accuracy? update ability? poi's? we've been using a GPS in our motorhomes since as far back as i can recall. my hands down favorite was DeLorme's Street Atlas but it was PC based which kept me from interacting with it much. very flexible with a ton of POIs that could be integrated into the map. but alas it is no more.

nothing i've tried since has been better. we now use our built-in Rand McNally GPS for basic routing since it "knows" our MH length, width and weight. it's ok for what it does. while driving i have Waze running on my phone for traffic info and if severe weather is in the area i run Radar US instead of Waze. we have little need for POIs these days.
X2 for Street Atlas.

Lowrance made some good auto GPSs but got out of that market.

To answer the OP's question: the "best" will be whatever the poster has in their RV. I have several Garmins now-a-days in my vehicles and they are pretty good, but my Garmin RV 660 is a piece of crap as far as the routing algorithms go - more often than not it will route you the long way around for no good reason.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Garmin RV 780 is fantastic! Easy to use, ability to search campgrounds, traffic and weather alerts, and can program your RVs dimensions in it to avoid obstacles and height restrictions.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Have been using the Garmin RV760 (which is now two versions obsolete) for almost five years and it's never failed me. I would not hesitate to update to the new 780 if this one drops dead.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Garmin for hiking, on my bikes, In the Jeep and a 770RV for the MH. No complaints across the board. Next one (whichever dies first) will be a Garmin.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #10

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22b...earch=irv2.com
Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #11

I asked this recently. The Garmin 760, 770 and I see now, 780 got the best thumbs up. Much better for bigger rigs than the Nuvi.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Phones and tablets are ok if you have a cell signal. I prefer a dedicated GPS.
Not entirely correct, All Apple Iphones have a GPS chip built in and don't rely exclusively on a cell signal for location service. Apple Ipads that are designed to use cellular also have built in GPS and don't need a cellular signal nor a cellular account to use the GPS. Ipad models that are WifI only do not have a built in gps.
The above is also true for most Android phones and tablets.

Apps such Google Maps and Waze do rely on cellular data to operate. RV specific offline navigation apps such as CoPilot RV and Sygic RV have all their data stored on the device and do not rely on a data connection to function.

I have used Copilot for the past 5 years. I have used the RV version of CoPilot for the past 18 months. No complaints.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a Garmin 760LMT and are very happy with it. That being said, we did have a trip where it tried to put us on a road which was not fit for a motorhome. Thankfully a local came by. He said his truck wouldn't even fit on the road the GPS was sending us and gave us directions to get back to a major road. Yes, I did contact Garmin and notified them of the problem. Lessons learned!! Don't trust your GPS as your only source to get you there!! We use the GPS as a guide, then check the maps (old school) and follow the directions given on the campgrounds website.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin RV779 LMT-S very happy with it.

Tags
gps