Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2022, 04:46 AM   #1

Best Toll Road Transponder To Use

Which is the best toll road transponder to use with a motorhome towing a toad? I want one that will work in the most states possible. I was considering the SunPass Pro but it says it doesn’t work on multi axle vehicles. I currently use the standard SunPass.
I’m considering the UNI pass. Would I need to buy two transponders one for each vehicle or would one be sufficient. I currently only have one SunPass and when we travel with only the car, I switch it from the motorhome to the car. When towing the car, it’s mounted on the motorhome and it counts axles.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2022, 05:12 AM   #2

I had a SunPass for several years but recently changed over the the EPass. Every time I was over in Orlando where they have a mix of E-Pass roads and SunPass roads it created issues. The SunPass worked but there always seemed to be some type of hiccup.
Additionally, when I switched, there was much better coverage for the E-Pass across a lot more states.

I have the portable unit for the MH and actually just got a small unit (also portable) for the TOAD. I like having one in each vehicle... forget to move that transponder one time and you will pony up the extra $5 for another transponder.

When towing the TOAD i just leave its transponder in the glovebox. At one point i had used a tow dolly to tow my son's car, which had the sticker kind. I just taped some aluminum foil over the transponder (on the outside windshield).

I'd just spend the few extra $'s and get the 2nd transponder -- plus, if you ever find yourself with the significant other driving the TOAD while you are driving the MH then you will be grateful you have 2 of them.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:14 AM   #3

Sun Pass joined E-Z pass last year so we cancelled our Sun Pass and just use E-Z pass which is good for all states east of the Mississippi River, except Georgia. If you need Georgia, you could go with the Sun Pass Pro and then have all east of the Mississippi.
cool lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EZ Pass seems to becoming more and more online around the east-side of America.

If you consider an EZ Pass, look at the New York State EZ Pass. The I joined a few years back, it was totally free, you will required an extra transponder for your towed.

If you fill out an extra form showing RV ownership, on the NY State Thruway, the tolls are are the car rates, a substantial savings. If you will not be in New york State, no need then.

Good luck, there are many choices out there.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:33 AM   #5

I bought a Kentucky EZ Pass several years ago. Not sure if this is still the case but at that time someone posted to warn that some states had a monthly maintenance fee that accessed your deposited fund regardless of whether you actually went through a toll station.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #6

the toll road company here in Texas charges 1.50$ per month fee
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #7

Take a look at the North Carolina Quick Pass. It works in all states east of the Mississippi, works on multi-axle vehicles, and has no monthly fee.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some toll roads have axle counters so they can get the correct charge. Some you still need to go through the cash lane to get the correct axle count.

There is no reason that as the states upgrade their toll systems that they cannot use a common transponder and get you covered. We are using TXTag and it is good all over Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool lake View Post
Sun Pass joined E-Z pass last year so we cancelled our Sun Pass and just use E-Z pass which is good for all states east of the Mississippi River, except Georgia. If you need Georgia, you could go with the Sun Pass Pro and then have all east of the Mississippi.

I actually purchased a SunPass Pro a few months ago but before I opened the transponder package it stated on the back that it is not good for multi-axle vehicles, as in a motorhome and a toad behind. I returned it.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:51 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is the link that explains the NC Quick Pass, You want the NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass Interior Transponder.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx

The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass work on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm looking for a toll transponder also and thinking about this one. You might check it out. It covers 19 states and they are suppose to add 3 or 4 more states. https://myopenroads.com/freedom-pass
Old 03-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #12
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Here is the link that explains the NC Quick Pass, You want the NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass Interior Transponder.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx

The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass work on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia
What do you do with a tag axle and a towed? Looking at the site it would be 25% cheaper to have a transponder in the coach and in the towed.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyndance View Post
What do you do with a tag axle and a towed? Looking at the site it would be 25% cheaper to have a transponder in the coach and in the towed.
I have 2 transponders. One I keep in the MH and one in the toad. When towing, I put the toad transponder in its foil bag and put it in the glove box so that both are not charged $$. Five years and no problems.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:07 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I have 2 transponders. One I keep in the MH and one in the toad. When towing, I put the toad transponder in its foil bag and put it in the glove box so that both are not charged $$. Five years and no problems.
I do the same thing and has worked really well.

2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote