Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Wow. Google chlorine plus bleach. It equals toxic chlorine gas. Pretty I won't ever be doing that and I certainly wouldn't advise others to do it. It might work great on stains but I'm not going to try and find out.
I have inadvertently mixed ammonia and bleach and gotten some chloramine gas effect. Safe to say I've been more careful since and don't wantonly mix things without checking first.
I think you meant to say vinegar and bleach mixed can be very bad.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Previous RV, Good results with Oxyclean carpet... Spray on and blot with a towel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oxy.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	309973  
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
I think you meant to say vinegar and bleach mixed can be very bad.
Yes, yes I did. Thank you pointing that out.

BIG typo on my part. Kind of freaked me out seeing someone publicly advise people to produce a form of poison gas in a closed in area no less. Typing skills not up to task evidently.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I couldn't find Folex anywhere locally but in a one gallon jug. Which I dilute and mix into a spray bottle. The instructions on a gallon jug may differ from what's on smaller bottles. Hopefully I can find other uses for it as a gallon of concentrate is WAY overkill for just a few ceiling stains.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...IBlQ&gclsrc=ds
Works great on floor carpet too, oh wait, that's the intended use.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #19

use an industrial respirator

Use an industrial respirator to help with fumes. Working on the ceiling may cause some of the spot remover to fall in your face.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #20

GypsyR

I am not talking about gallons for cleaning but maybe 1/2 a pint at the most. It goes without saying that you wear appropriate gear (respirator etc) when using toxic items in well ventilated areas. Don't know where you got the idea that I would suggest that it be done in a closed area. Maybe you don't have windows or a fan in your RV.

You yourself said that you had tried bleach which is also toxic and if you Google some household cleaners like Drano you would find that they are very toxic too.

In fact if you google too many things you would probably not venture out of the safety and comfort of your home.

You are in far greater danger by socializing in public than you are spraying a small amount of bleach and vinegar.

I stand by my method as the most effective and easiest (no scrubbing or repeats) to clean stains off the fuzzy stuff. If you want to use something else go ahead.

Geoff
Old 12-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #21

I'm OK with you mixing up what was once an agent of chemical warfare for your personal use if you want, but advising others how it's OK to do so without warning them that they are making a potential vesicant chlorine gas isn't too smart in my book. Sorry. By the way such a gas is heavier than air and though in small amounts may not bother you (or me) at all small pets on the floor area can suffer greatly.

I had a personal experience with chloramine gas in our house. (Very similar in action to the chlorine gas under discussion.) It made my eyes burn and nose itch some but no big deal. My wife only noticed that her eyes watered a little. My nephew came in and twenty minutes later we were taking him to the doctor with very inflamed mucous membranes. An example of how such things can be hardly noticeable to some but a serious medical threat to others. Therefore it's good to inform people of the hazard.

Google is just other tool I can use to acquire knowledge and lessen my ignorance. Ignore it if you like. Books are good too.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Greatly interested in this topic as well. Our ceiling is white synthetic textured material glued to either pressboard or hard Styrofoam, not sure which. But it looks like during manufacture, when putting in the skylight, glue was accidentally smeared.. maybe a 6" by 6" patch.

Do all the suggestions also apply to cleaning glue?
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #23

TexasJeff, Glue is an entirely different subject, removal if possible is quite difficult without unintended consequential damage. Since your RV is under warranty I suggest you contact the selling dealer before attempting a DIY removal.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:49 PM   #24

Not sure but maybe worth trying a small area with Goo Be Gone for the glue??? I use that stuff on anything when everything else fails. LOL.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
@Ray & Someday... I suppose it's sometimes its best to just leave it be. It's not distracting... just one of those things you can't not see once you see it. Thanks for the feedback!
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #26

GypsyR

Point well taken
Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #27
US1

Ours was stained bad along the walls and around the AC from a storm induced roof failure during POs ownership. Oxyclean worked good but left a salty powder texture behind. Ended up using plain tap water. Sprayed it on and immediately vacuumed it off. Working in small 6” areas, I would spray it until I could see the stain literally dilute away, then hit with shop vac real good. Usually had to repeat a couple of times. Then on to next spot. If it got too wet, the staining from the luan would soak thru. Just had to vacuum that spot, spray again and vacuum. It seemed like working with a muddy towel. Just had to keep at it till all the mud was out. Couldn’t think of it as surface dirt. Ceiling is as white as day it was installed.

Tags
ceiling