Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
On the road I'm planning on using my phone as a hot spot and then connect my lap top to that.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
On the road I'm planning on using my phone as a hot spot and then connect my lap top to that.
That is a good buy maybe costly solution when CG internet is slow or unreliable.

The method I described need no internet access. It's designed to let you wirelessly broadcast movies from your hard drive to the Tv which is what the OP asked about.

You can also use wired solutions to view your laptop movies on your TV i.e. vga, hdmi, etc..
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #17

I use a 4G LTE hot spot from T-Mobile with "Binge On" which allows you to stream unlimited video via your phone. The one drawback is it's only 480p. You can use either Apple air play or miracast for android. Cost is $35.00 per month for 5 gig. The Binge on does not count on the 5 gig.
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nonad10th

How technical are you?

There are many ways to accomplish what you want.
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:56 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I record a number of movies and complete seasons of TV shows onto a hard drive when at home in our S&B with a fast internet connection. Prior to leaving on our current across Canada trip I had just over 280 GB recorded.

I have a 128 GB USB thumb drive, which I transfer a large group of movies and TV shows onto and then simply plug the USB drive into my TV. Most modern TVs allow you to connect a USB drive and select and watch TV shows from it.

It is a very simple and effective method and we don't have to worry about the wi-fi hassles to watch something, especially when we are out in the boonies where there is no cell signal and no dealing with the cross-border hassles of satellite connections.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #20

I can see how the Firestick will allow watching TV over the internet and through netflix, etc. But don't see any info on how it will let you stream from a laptop since there is no HDMI connection from the laptop to the Firestick. Or am I missing something? Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
See below.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry mirroring works for displaying tablet or phone to TV not laptop, has to support Miracast technology
Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #23

So your saying the Firestick won't work with a laptop? It was my understanding that this is what this whole discussion was about. Chuck
Old 06-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
So your saying the Firestick won't work with a laptop? It was my understanding that this is what this whole discussion was about. Chuck
Yes, Fire broadcast from from Android phones and tablets to TV

Apple TV using airplay will broadcast from a Mac laptop to TV

Miracast broadcasts from PC laptop to TV

I have all 3 although rarely use AppleTV

For PC Miracast adapter is simplest to use if your laptop is Windows 7 r newer. Miracast is wireless just like Apple TV using Airplay.

All plug in to the back of your TV using HDMI, Device and laptop need to be on the same network to see each other.

Miracast and Apple do not need internet to broadcast.

You can create your own network inside the RV with a $19.00 router.

2 easy methods of watching movies from laptop wirelessly with out internet
Old 06-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad10th View Post
Well as we move to the completely digital era, what are you guys that are tech-savvy doing instead of DVDs and Blue Rays? I want to add a nice LED TV to my motorhome bedroom with hopes of being able to wirelessly transmit movies from my laptop that are saved from a hard drive. Something along those lines. What's out there? Thanks
First I'd have to ask, why get rid of the Blu-Rays? We keep a DVD binder that holds our movies and tucks in the cabinet behind the bedroom TV. We have DirectTV so we can set movies and TV shows to record, or just watch whatever is on. We also have a ScreenBeamMini2 for playing whatever is on the laptop screen or phone screen to the TV. Since I have unlimited data on my phone I can stream Netfilx or Amazon to my phone and use the ScreenBeam to display it on the TV. I also have a Wifi Ranger but really, it's pretty rare to be somewhere with decent wifi.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad10th View Post
Well as we move to the completely digital era, what are you guys that are tech-savvy doing instead of DVDs and Blue Rays? I want to add a nice LED TV to my motorhome bedroom with hopes of being able to wirelessly transmit movies from my laptop that are saved from a hard drive. Something along those lines. What's out there? Thanks
If you have an HDMI port on your laptop you can just plug it into your TV, tell the computer to use that port for the monitor an play the movie. No wireless needed or any other device. I do it all the time and it works great.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
If you have an HDMI port on your laptop you can just plug it into your TV, tell the computer to use that port for the monitor an play the movie. No wireless needed or any other device. I do it all the time and it works great.
The benefit of wireless is not having wires hanging around. I used to connect to TV via vga then HDMI. much cleaner now without wires
Old 06-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Yes, Fire broadcast from from Android phones and tablets to TV

Apple TV using airplay will broadcast from a Mac laptop to TV

Miracast broadcasts from PC laptop to TV

I have all 3 although rarely use AppleTV

For PC Miracast adapter is simplest to use if your laptop is Windows 7 r newer. Miracast is wireless just like Apple TV using Airplay.

All plug in to the back of your TV using HDMI, Device and laptop need to be on the same network to see each other.

Miracast and Apple do not need internet to broadcast.

You can create your own network inside the RV with a $19.00 router.

2 easy methods of watching movies from laptop wirelessly with out internet
I already have a Netgear router set up in the RV to handle internet connections, printer, etc. So with the Miracast device, I should be able to connect to the TV with my laptop and Windows 7 via the router. My display does not support wireless connections. Will that matter using Miracast? Thanks. Chuck

Tags
test