Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #1

Hi everyone, I would like to know if anyone out there has a 2000 Allegro bay, or a Ford triton V-10 engine that is getting more then 9 miles per galine? If so what can i do to get better gas milege then spanding $2,900 dollors on a Banks system, to add on the engine. I heard a computer chip would help, im hopping someone out there has an answer. Thank you
firestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #2

Hi everyone, I would like to know if anyone out there has a 2000 Allegro bay, or a Ford triton V-10 engine that is getting more then 9 miles per galine? If so what can i do to get better gas milege then spanding $2,900 dollors on a Banks system, to add on the engine. I heard a computer chip would help, im hopping someone out there has an answer. Thank you
firestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
You could probably get the UltraPower upgrade done for about 1/3 of the cost with as good as or better results. DriVer on this forum is very knowledgeable on this and will probably chime in shortly. The Stinger kit shown on our rig was installed by the original owner cause I wouldn't have done it. Meanwhile, you can start by reading this forum for some user(s) comments on the UltraPower upgrade.
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8626012545/m/...901078063#2901078063
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #4

Your getting 9 mpg? Thats 3 more than me.Does that make you feel a liittle better?

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firestar:
Hi everyone, I would like to know if anyone out there has a 2000 Allegro bay, or a Ford triton V-10 engine that is getting more then 9 miles per galine? If so what can i do to get better gas milege then spanding $2,900 dollors on a Banks system, to add on the engine. I heard a computer chip would help, im hopping someone out there has an answer. Thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get up to 11 by keeping the speed down watching the traffic and elimnating (within reason) the need for full stops. Pulling out hard from a full stop can drop you to less than 1 MPG while slowly rolling up on a stoplight and getting there just after the traffic gets moving can get you a more gentle start off at 4 or 5 MPG. Don't accelerate while going up hill just maintain your speed and accept the gradual slowdown while keeping to the right. Pushing your V10 to 100% output can greatly multiply the cost of going up a hill too.

If I got anything I would get a ScanGuage so I could see, in real time, the effect of my driving habits on fuel economy and then make adjustments to keep the MPG up. Many times a slight change in gas pedal position will cause a big change in fuel economy with a minimal change in speed.

Of course keep an eye on your tire pressures and don't carry a lot of extra stuff that you like to have around but rarely use and don't really need.

I do not have a aftermarket exhaust or chip modification on my E53 either.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't count on the Banks (or any other mod) to increase fuel economy on a late model engine either. More power in some portions of the torque/horsepower curve, but unlikely to produce a discernible mpg improvement.

And if you are getting 9 mpg you should be happy. 7-8 is the norm, depending on driving style.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW!! 9 MPG ? Save your money firestar, and enjoy the ride.

Dieselclacker
Old 09-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #8

9 MPG is pretty good for any motorhome. I have found the best way for me to improve mileage figures is in the pressure of my right foot while driving. I have finally grown patient enough to slow down a bit, what a difference in MPG, and the scenery is much nicer too.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
9 MPG is pretty good for any motorhome. I have found the best way for me to improve mileage figures is in the pressure of my right foot while driving. I have finally grown patient enough to slow down a bit, what a difference in MPG, and the scenery is much nicer too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen, Tom

Dieselclacker
Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
I wouldn't count on the Banks (or any other mod) to increase fuel economy on a late model engine either. More power in some portions of the torque/horsepower curve, but unlikely to produce a discernible mpg improvement.

And if you are getting 9 mpg you should be happy. 7-8 is the norm, depending on driving style. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly. The engines are pretty much maximized on efficiency and you may get a couple of percent efficiency with mods, but not much. Also, anything the you do to get more power out will usually wind up needing more fuel to get the power. Basic law of thermodynamics is that:

energy in = energy out.

We put the banks Power Pak and Transcommand on our 1999 31' Minnie Winnie class C. mileage did not get any worse and was maybe slightly better, but the engine was more responsive in the mid-power range and it was not slipping into 3rd at the mention of the word ..... HILL.

By opening up the intake and the exhaust, it will help the power band on the engine.

The Banks system is a well designed and proven approach, but it is expensive. If you plan to keep the coach long term, it may well be worth it for the better drivability. But for 2, 3 or 4 years, thaat is a lot of cash.

Oh, and I never got over 8.5 MPG, 65 MPH on out 14,000# class c. Slow down and it came up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My take is if your getting above 9mpg, you must have a neighbor thats messing with you by adding gas or just a great driver.

Mike

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #12

If I drive down long, gradual grades with a tail wind, I too get over 9 MPG. Seven and a half to 8 is the norm. Six and a half in hilly terrain driving into the wind. No add on, at any cost, is going to improve mileage enough to ever justify the cost.
Save your money for the gas you must put in tank.
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would love to get 9mpg...I get close to that most of the time. I average 8.7-9.0 on the open run, less with a toad and down to 4mpg getting back on the mountain and home.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #14

I think if you drive 30 mph all the time without stopping, you can achieve 9 mpg. With our toad, we get about 7.4 mpg before AND after our Ultrapower install. There is no magic fix but to keep your foot off the accelerator.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote