Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Big ceiling problem!

This one has me really scratching my head! We have had a roof leak problem for quite some time, and I have spent countless hours trying to figure it out. It is showing up mostly in the bathroom but with lesser signs in the kitchen. I thought the problem was with the bathroom vent fan, but after resealing it we still had some leakage. A few days ago my son found the leak around the roof vent for the fridge, where we never suspected it to be!

The ceiling material is vinyl with a 1/4" foam backing. The leak has been going on so long that the material shrunk away from a trim strip dividing the ceiling in the bathroom, and there is extensive mold on the foam side of the material. I planned to just replace the bathroom ceiling material and found exactly what I needed on Amazon. Then Murphy's Law hit me between the eyes with a 2x4!

On closer inspection I find that the manufacturer installed the entire ceiling, front to back, before installing any cabinets, door frames, etc. All the woodwork is just pressed up against the continous celing material. This means there's nothing to conceal the edges of the new material around the perimeter of the bathroom.

I don't know anything about mold, so I don't know how serious this is. I have a local mold expert coming by tomorrow to give me an opinion. It seems like all my small projects grow into major ones!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your water intrusion.
Yeah, I think that is the norm to have a complete shell (ceiling (to include ductwork, electrical for overhead lights, coax, any electrical wiring to the fuse panels, electrical wiring that are run overhead), flooring (carpet, vinyl, wood, tile, etc), walls (with electrical, plumbing) and then bring in all the cabinetry. All in one day.....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #3

Get a piece of trim to go around the top of the wall to hide the edge of the new ceiling material. Stain it to match the rest of the wood, paint it to match the material. My bet is no one but you will notice.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Get a piece of trim to go around the top of the wall to hide the edge of the new ceiling material. Stain it to match the rest of the wood, paint it to match the material. My bet is no one but you will notice.

This right here.

I would cut it around cabinets etc, install new and trim around cabinets and walls.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #5

You can cut the fabric a little long next to the cabinets. Then, mask and spray a little adhesive on the ceiling to the edge of the cabinets. Just enough to reactivate the adhesive on the fabric.

Use a new, thin 1" flexible narrow paint scraper to push the edge under the cabinets that are butted to the ceiling.

The hard part is to keep the adhesive on the right side of the fabric. Keep some clean white rags close by and some acetone to clean up any residue. Home depot has bags of rags perfect for this. Don't use paper towels as that would be a mess.

I will be doing this tomorrow as well.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
I would do that except that part of it is not against wood, but white wallboard!
Old 10-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
You can cut the fabric a little long next to the cabinets. Then, mask and spray a little adhesive on the ceiling to the edge of the cabinets. Just enough to reactivate the adhesive on the fabric.

Use a new, thin 1" flexible narrow paint scraper to push the edge under the cabinets that are butted to the ceiling.

The hard part is to keep the adhesive on the right side of the fabric. Keep some clean white rags close by and some acetone to clean up any residue. Home depot has bags of rags perfect for this. Don't use paper towels as that would be a mess.

I will be doing this tomorrow as well.
That may work! Let me know how it works out for you! Thanks!
Old 10-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #8

I'm not sure if it was mentioned to use 3M headliner or other auto upholstery interior recommended glues compatible with foam . They will not go soft at high interior/ceiling temps like many contact cements.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Not having seen a picture I would guess some quarter round trim may work pretty well.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Joe I would test lay a pc of 1/4 round like mentioned above of different sizes. Easy.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I'm not sure if it was mentioned to use 3M headliner or other auto upholstery interior recommended glues compatible with foam . They will not go soft at high interior/ceiling temps like many contact cements.
Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The problem with the quarter round is that in some places the ceiling is against wood, others white wallboard. Plus it would be a pain going around the doors, etc. That will definitely be a last resort!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #13

The first thing you must think about is how to remove and replace all the
WET insulation in the ceiling. This must be done before replacing the ceiling material.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The first thing you must think about is how to remove and replace all the
WET insulation in the ceiling. This must be done before replacing the ceiling material.
The insulation is above the thin particle board that the padded vinyl is attached to so that isn't a problem. Hopefully with all the heat that we've had any moisture in the insulation will be dried out!

Tags
ceiling, problem