RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

Black crap (mildew?) on fiberglass roof

Hello,

I live in coastal NC and out of necessity, cannot store my MH under roof. I spend a few days several times a year power washing and scrubbing the roof cap (Class A pusher) to get the black junk off. It grows on everything, sat dish, dome, vent covers, slide toppers. It's a real PITA to get off. I should mention that again, out of necessity I am partially parked under trees. I think it's a combination of the shade and the extremely high humidity that causes this. And it seems to contribute quite a bit to the buildup on the sides, although not as bad as the roof. The big question is, do any of you use anything to treat your roof to PREVENT this rather than just reacting to it?
Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, Darwin
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #2

I use denatured alcohol to clean and McGuires 50 to wax. Lots of scrubbing and buffing
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #3

I have a fine crop of the same stuff. I'm in Florida parked in full sun. I don't know any way to prevent it without damage.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a Florida boy and have some experience similar to yours. A good wax job and a fresh coat of paint should make the cleaning easier, but I don't know any way to prevent mold from growing in a warm,moist environment like that.

A hard paste wax lasts the longest in conditions like that but it's a lot of work to clean and then apply paste wax & buff. It's also extremely slippery if you need to get up there to do anything. A simple floor wax, applied a couple times a year may be the more practical solution. Easier to apply and non-slip, but not so long lasting.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used spray nine cleaner on my roof. Turned bright white again. Then I put 303 protectant on it.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #6

I've been cleaning it with Castro purple stuff but that doesn't seem to do a really good job. I guess if we want to make millions we would invent something that would prevent that stuff from growing
Old 09-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #7

Regular wax and fiverglass wax are completely different. Gel coat you seal. Paint wax breathes.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #8

Every time I wash our RV I mix auto soap, 2-3oz bleach into a 5G bucket of water. If there is any mold/mildew this mixture removes it, while cleaning the roof and the rest of the RV, including awnings.
This has worked for me for over 40 years without any negative side -effects.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Regular wax and fiverglass wax are completely different. Gel coat you seal. Paint wax breathes.
Really? I'd like to hear a further explanation of that and why it is important. Does paint outgas or something? Besides, most all newer fiberglass Rv sidewalls are painted or at least clear-coated. Front & rear caps are gel-coated, so may or may not be painted.

Further, hardly any modern product is an actual wax anyway - they are all synthetic polymers.

This article on car & boat waxes might be enlightening.

https://www.expert-mobile-car-detail...glass-wax.html
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;5438921]Really? I'd like to hear a further explanation of that and why it is important. Does paint outgas or something? Besides, most all newer fiberglass Rv sidewalls are painted or at least clear-coated. Front & rear caps are gel-coated, so may or may not be painted.

Further, hardly any modern product is an actual wax anyway - they are all synthetic polymers.

https://www.expert-mobile-car-detailing.com/fiberglass-
wax.html[/QUOTEt

there is new ceramics and polymers out there I cant speak to. The fiberglass sides on most coaches are not gel coat. Some other process for producing the panels. Fiberglass roofs are gel coat, they need a boat wax. The end caps on my 04 Monaco appear to not be gelcoat either, at least on the front top, it's checking like the sides. good article, pretty much follows what I've always been taught. 30 years as a bodyshop owner I was involved a few times with paint company engineers and boat makers.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #11

[QUOTE=shootist;5440349]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Really? I'd like to hear a further explanation of that and why it is important. Does paint outgas or something? Besides, most all newer fiberglass Rv sidewalls are painted or at least clear-coated. Front & rear caps are gel-coated, so may or may not be painted.

https://www.expert-mobile-car-detailing.com/fiberglass-
wax.html[/QUOTEt

there is new ceramics and polymers out there I cant speak to. The fiberglass sides on most coaches are not gel coat. Some other process for producing the panels. Fiberglass roofs are gel coat, they need a boat wax. The end caps on my 04 Monaco appear to not be gelcoat either, at least on the front top, it's checking like the sides. good article, pretty much follows what I've always been taught. 30 years as a bodyshop owner I was involved a few times with paint company engineers and boat makers.
Thanks for that link! I learned a lot more than I thought I knew.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:07 AM   #12

I have the very rough no slip surface on my white boat deck much rough rougher than any they put on MH . I used Bar Keepers friend powder and pole mounted scrub brush. Left perfectly white again.
There's also a product called Wet and Forget you just spray it on and kills mildew and lichens over time . I used it on my awning, it didn't get every stain off but definitely kill off a lot of what might have been active. I haven't tried it on my roof.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's a lot easier just to pressure wash the roof about once a year! I am very careful around the openings, holding the wand well away to prevent any damage to the caulking!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #14

I'm going to try the Wet and Forget. If it doesn't work on the MH i'll use it on my cypress siding and decking. Stuff grows on anything down here. At least it doesn't snow though.

Tags
fiberglass, roof