Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 01:04 AM   #1

Question Black Reflectix?

I am looking for bubble wrap insulation with one side silver/aluminum, and the other side black for my windows.
I saw some YouTube videos featuring those but my Google-Fu is not working tonight, and the Reflectix website is terrible to find anything (they don't really care about RV use and focus on construction).
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #2

Years ago I painted one side with a flat black water based paint. I used the black side for solar heating in the winter.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never heard of that and I don't see it on the Reflectix website, but as 1982 said, it would be very easy to just paint one side!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #4

The stuff I seen that appeared to be black was single ply. Silver front with black backing or primer layer, then clear bubble , you see black through bubble wrap.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #5

Do you want to us it as a blackout shade as well as insulation? If so, get a roll of Reflectix, grab some blackout material at your local fabric store and sew them together around the edge. That's what I did except in white. I heard come campgrounds frown on silver shades in the windows so that's in part why I went with white. I tried something different for the bedroom windows. Found multi layered insulated fabric with aluminized mylar in the middle. It was designed to be for making insulated roman shades. I added a backing of blackout material. Works great in keeping the heat out in summer or the heat in in winter and keeps the bedroom completely dark except for a few pinholes around the edge where it's sewn.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #6

Never heard of this. Is it true, or just an urban legend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
..... I heard some campgrounds frown on silver shades in the windows.....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Do you want to us it as a blackout shade as well as insulation? If so, get a roll of Reflectix, grab some blackout material at your local fabric store and sew them together around the edge. That's what I did except in white. I heard come campgrounds frown on silver shades in the windows so that's in part why I went with white. I tried something different for the bedroom windows. Found multi layered insulated fabric with aluminized mylar in the middle. It was designed to be for making insulated roman shades. I added a backing of blackout material. Works great in keeping the heat out in summer or the heat in in winter and keeps the bedroom completely dark except for a few pinholes around the edge where it's sewn.
What would be their objection?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #8

Maybe aesthetics? It reminds me of when people put foil in their apartment windows, which always looks tacky.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
I have used it before when we winter camped as it's a great insulator. I also used it in all the windows in our 5th wheel we left it in California for the summer months, but never seen it in black.
Purchase black spray that is used on plastic and try a test piece.
What is the purpose of having a black side?
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #10

I have no evidence to back up what I'm about to say, but...

If the black side is to face outwards, then it seems that it will soak up lots of heat on the glass side of the material. But, the insulating qualities will prevent much of that from actually making it through to the other side, resulting in trapping the heat between the glass and the Reflectix. Seems like a recipe for damage to plastic trim and rubber window gaskets.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #11

Here's my evidence: I wanted to use Reflectix to reduce summer heat transmitted through the large front windshield. After cutting the material for a close fit, I created a surrounding "seal" around the edges with adhesive Velcro strips. This seemed to be a good idea until the Velcro adhesive melted and left a mess. Every fall I still use the cold temperatures to scrape remaining hardened adhesive off of the rubber windshield surround.

I still use Reflectix on the windshield, but gave up on the Velcro. I put the sheets in place with some air circulation room around the edges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I have no evidence to back up what I'm about to say, but...

If the black side is to face outwards, then it seems that it will soak up lots of heat on the glass side of the material. But, the insulating qualities will prevent much of that from actually making it through to the other side, resulting in trapping the heat between the glass and the Reflectix. Seems like a recipe for damage to plastic trim and rubber window gaskets.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Maybe aesthetics? It reminds me of when people put foil in their apartment windows, which always looks tacky.

Let's face it, there are RV snobs out there who are "offended" by things like this.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they are complaining because the "silver Reflectix covered windows are reflecting too much sunlight and its hurting their eyes".
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What would be their objection?
Because in the squishy campgrounds, you reflect right into your neighbors space. It is seriously annoying.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Let's face it, there are RV snobs out there who are "offended" by things like this.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they are complaining because the "silver Reflectix covered windows are reflecting too much sunlight and its hurting their eyes".
The complaints aren't snobish. If I can't sit on my patio because of your reflection for a few hours, do you think that's ok? I've never complained to a campground about it, but I really don't like it.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote