Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Black tank lines in winter

Hi guys I was just watching some videos on YouTube and I thought of this question. If you're traveling in cold weather what happens to the lines under the black tank before the flush valve. I've only had my RV for a year so I hadn't had to worry about it. Would that pipe coming from the black tank to the flush valve freeze? Is it something that I need to worry about?
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 12:49 AM   #2

Information about your coach would be a great help. Somebody will be along shortly to point you in the right direction for filling out your profile.
Your coach may have a heat source that warms that area, or you may have tank heaters that are glued to the tank and will warm them and the contents. If they are empty or have minimal stuff, then adding some RV antifreeze will help, but bear in mind the more stuff in your tanks, the higher the freeze point.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:42 AM   #3

I have already filled out my signature on my profile. I don't know what else to do about it. Either way it doesn't matter what I'm asking is the pipes that are not wrapped that are underneath the coach. Do I need to worry about those freezing
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:26 AM   #4

Without further information, yes.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If there are exposed pipes containing water or fluid YES they can freeze and do damage. Temps are the deciding factor. Just at freezing 32° usually not a problem even while in transit. If in the 25°-28° there very well could be a problem especially at highway speed, the flow of sub freezing air over exposed piping.

LEN
Old 12-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are going to be traveling when it is below freezing then drain the black and gray tanks and turn on tank heater if you have one. There should not be enough water left to do any damage since it will have plenty of room to expand.

As for coach info you want to make a signature for your posts by using the user cp button at the top of the page. There should be a section on the left with options for a signature. Then your info will show up in your posts.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

By "flush valve" I assume you mean the 3" dump valves.

Ideally you should have dumped both tanks, but since there is often liquid left in the tanks that will end up down in those pipes once you start moving, it would be prudent to put a pint of RV Antifreeze down the toilet and also into the sink so that plug of liquid up against the dump valves won't freeze.

If your water lines are still full of water then parts of that system will be subject to freezing too. Hot water tank (unless it is being heated), outside shower and any water pipes in unheated areas (which could include all the pipes in your wet bay unless that whole area is heated well enough).
What you can get away with when parked up in a sheltered area won't hold when driving at 65mph with sub-freezing air blasting in to the basement through every little hole and crack

As for signatures. Since they can be easily turned off to save huge amounts of wasted bandwidth, there is little point in insisting on them, especially since it is easy enough to access a members profile to get the info.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

3" black piping from the waste tank to the black dump valve. It would have to be quite cold, I would think, for that line to freeze.More problematic is that a small amount of water in the black valve may freeze and cause the valve to stick closed. I've camped in 9f weather in Alberqurque and I could still dump my tanks. For Olelyn, 28f is 28f, no matter what the wind speed. Wind chill, which is what I assume you were getting at, applies to ones skin, not to the plumbing of an RV. Agreed wind will carry away heat faster than no wind, but it still will be 28f (in our example) and cannot get any colder due to wind.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, winter