Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for the water heater

And check your anode rod if it's got one.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
There may be only one Ptrap under your kitchen sinks and stuff will build up in the cross pipe. Mine did that and after I poured boiling water down and ran a brush a few times it finally cleared up. The cross pipe laid fairly flat ahead of the P trap.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
If your kitchen is in a slideout, you could have a broken flexible drain line. How do I know? Been there.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Panhandler View Post
Don't be surprised if the odor continues. The smell is likely the grey tank and not the black tank. Grey tank odor is much more "gross" and hard to resolve. I thought it was my vacuum breakers under the sinks,
Florida Panhandler
I believe you mean "air admittance valves", (aka: "mechanical vents"), NOT "vacuum breakers".

"Air admittance valves", aka: "mechanical vents", are used in drain/waste lines......(see:
https://www.google.com/search?q=vacu...k-%3B640%3B480

"Vacuum breakers" are used in fresh water lines...... (see: https://www.google.com/search?q=vacu...iw=911&bih=393

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We ran into something similar on an occasional, temporary basis. So, after you verify your vents are clear, auto vents are working and all that jazz, take note of a few other things.

What direction was the wind from and was it light or strong. What we came to figure out was that if the wind was light and from certain directions relative to the coach we could smell tank odors coming in through the windows. I theory was that the winds were just enough to push the odor over the coach and down the side then through a window. Also...we found the oder situation got "enhanced" with the fantastic fans running under those conditions.

May not have any thing to do with your situation but if you happen to have had a window open in the kitchen area, I thought I would just toss it out.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post

Right, called an autovent and looks like this:

This photo in a previous post depicts one of the cheaper designed Air Admittance Valves that Lowe's sells.

I would recommend the more expensive Studer Air Admittance Valve as shown here.

I have replaced both of mine a few times with the cheap ones and finally this last time I went for the "cadillac" of air admittance valves.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I was told by an RV service tech that a quick way to test to see if the air admittance valve is the problem is to put tape on it. If the odor goes away with the valve temporarily taped, then the valve needs replacing. (Have not actually tried this, and don't leave the valve taped up for an extended time. )
Old 02-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I have never had this situation mentioned by the OP with the coach stationary but I have had it on occasion when driving. For this reason I don't think the air valve near the sink is bad or it would happen more often. My plumbing vent on the roof sits directly behind the refrigerator vent and just a bit lower in height. I was thinking that with just the right wind over the fridge vent it could cause a vacuum in the area of the plumbing vent. Wondering if a venturi type vent sitting just a tough higher would solve the problem?
Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
stinkie while driving ended....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
I have never had this situation mentioned by the OP with the coach stationary but I have had it on occasion when driving. For this reason I don't think the air valve near the sink is bad or it would happen more often. My plumbing vent on the roof sits directly behind the refrigerator vent and just a bit lower in height. I was thinking that with just the right wind over the fridge vent it could cause a vacuum in the area of the plumbing vent. Wondering if a venturi type vent sitting just a tough higher would solve the problem?
I had the stink problem while going down the road, installed 2 cyclone vents, problem solved.