Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 06:05 PM   #1

Black Water Digesters...another “crappy” question

My rig sits in the back yard and is not connected to sewer. It is only a few feet to the house so Rv bathroom use is very seldom. However it does happen on occasion and I am either reluctant or too lazy to roll up and drive 15 miles to a dump station for 5 gallons of waste. I do keep some water in the tank just to prevent dry out and caking of solids. I have used some products that are advertised as “de-oderizers” but they don’t say much about material breakdown. When on the road it is no problem to dump daily and the motion of travel certainly breaks up solids and TP.
My septic guy suggested mixing 2 cups brown sugar and baking yeast with 2gallons of water to help out the septic system in sludge breakdown.
Has anybody tried any long term solutions in their rigs Black Water tanks?
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Gump159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #2

I deal with in boat holding tank and have exceptionally good results using NoFlex
https://www.amazon.com/Zaal-90001-No...36750799&psc=1
The active ingredient is sodium percarbonate (SPC) and available in bulk at a more reasonable cost. Im switching as soon as my current supply of NiFlex is gone. This has worked for many boaters. SPC is used in waste treatment plants to treating sludge. Lots of info online. The key is getting oxygen to the waste to promote aerobic (non stinky) breakdown. Anearobic (lacking O2) is the stinky stuff. SPC in wayer produces hydrogen peroxide... breaks down to produce O2, water and washing soda (laundry aid). No harmful or hazardous chemicals and it promotes the kind of waste breakdown that is beneficial.
This is getting lots of attention in the boating community I'm surprised the RV community hasn't caught on.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good advice from your septic Guy. I leave 5 gal in the black tank for months with the orange stuff from Wally World. Add water for evaporation occasionally. Never a problem.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm unsure what the problem is here. There is no need to dump 5 gallons at a time, or take any special actions. Just keep plenty of water in the black tank. We've left waste in there for weeks and months with never a worry; the stuff breaks down fine with natural bacterial action. It's just brown water. If in doubt, you can add an enzyme-type septic booster, e.g. RidX, Roebic K47 or K37, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #5

Get a Flojet Portable Macerator Pump

When Black tank Finally gets full...use macerator to pump to septic cleanout
3/4" garden hose.....

Then you can USE the black/grey tanks.......dump as needed and NOT worry about the waste water
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
It is only a few feet to the house so Rv bathroom use is very seldom. However it does happen on occasion and I am either reluctant or too lazy to roll up and drive 15 miles to a dump station for 5 gallons of waste...

How about using a bright orange Home Depot bucket, drain the tank and just haul the waste the "few feet" to the house? I did just that when I lived in our RV while working in a hurricane disaster area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orange-the-home-depot-paint-bucket.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	312050  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #7

Seems a lot easier to walk into your house.

For as much worry and products marketed for black tanks (and home remedies), I just leave a little water splashing around in there while I am driving and have never had a smell or issue with my black tank.

It's not my favorite part of RVing but its no big deal.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look into the "Geo Method", works pretty good for us.
5 gallons water + 1 cup "Twenty Mule Team Borax "+ 1 /4 cup "Dawn" dish detergent.
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water