Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #1

Black water flush

I have a built in flush tube on my black water tank. It seems to be clogged. I’ve tried to blow it out with air pressure (100 psi) to no avail. I believe it has calcium build up. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this and has a fix.
Rivrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrman2 View Post
I have a built in flush tube on my black water tank. It seems to be clogged. I’ve tried to blow it out with air pressure (100 psi) to no avail. I believe it has calcium build up. Was wondering if anyone has experienced this and has a fix.
That seems to be a common problem. The spray holes in the washout fixture get stopped with solid deposits and become completely clogged. The only solution I have heard that works is to take the spray fixture out and drill out the holes.

It might help if you would specify the make, mode and year of your RV for more specific help from a like owner.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had my black tank flusher clog up a while back. The nozzle in the side of the tank was clogged, along with an inch or so of tubing going into it. I took out the nozzle, cleaned it good, cut the tubing and cleaned the clog, spliced the tubing and all was good!

I found that there was no screen in the flusher water inlet!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

Any way you can rinse it with diluted vinegar or lemon juice?
Or failing that, CLR? Check the label first, in case it's not recommended for your particular application or purpose.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just fill the black tank to the top and let it soak for a few hours then try to blow it out again, after draining of course.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #6

Do not know your set up, but mine has an exterior connection to attach a hose. I attached a short hose section to it and slowly poured in 1-2 cups of hot vinegar, with the hose fixed in the upright position. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Repeated 4 times. This assumes your problem is hard water deposits only.

Oh, and do not apply 100 psi to your plumbing system again. You got lucky that you didn't damage it.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #7

I had the same issue, and tried several fixes to no avail. I ended up pulling it out the the tank and drilling out the sprayer holes. This not only unclogged it, but the slightly bigger holes ensure better spray cleaning. When I turned it on, I could hear the jets of water hitting the far side of the tank with a little force.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I had my black tank flusher clog up a while back. The nozzle in the side of the tank was clogged, along with an inch or so of tubing going into it. I took out the nozzle, cleaned it good, cut the tubing and cleaned the clog, spliced the tubing and all was good!

Really? Shoot now I have to go out and check mine. I have had the screen on the water inlet clog up several times over the years, but I never gave a thought that the flush was screenless!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #9

Do the black tank flush fittings have back flow prevention?
If they do (and it would make sense?) maybe the ball valve, or whatever is stuck and there really isn't a clog?
Just spitballin'....
Old 02-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

Yes on back flow prevention. Mine is up and under the bathroom sink. Of course other makes and models will be located differently.

Here is a link to another discussion on them and some pictures.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/acce...ng-278671.html
Old 02-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Well Joe, you made me look! Lucky today is a very nice 60 degree day after the 0 degree weather a few days ago. I had to unscrew a short hose that the previous owner placed on that connection and presto, there was a screen, partially clogged with what looked like rust particles or brown sand.

Now I'm embarrassed I never checked that before. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jpollard62
Mine was at the point I couldn't get much to drain out....Thought I was going to have to take it in.....Was able to get it to drain out after an hour or so....Then I used like 5 gallons of CLR......Left it in there a couple days then used the flush to fill the tank....When I pulled the valve it all came rushing out....Problem solved...
jpollard62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #13

FYI
It’s a 2008 HR Admiral
Rivrman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Rivrman2".....This is a very common issue with the sprayer used in Monaco products. You need to access the passenger side of the black tank (opposite the wet bay). You'll see a hose, hose clamped to the sprayer fitting at the end of the tank (top). The fitting has relatively small holes. As paper debris splashes against it, it hardens like paper mache. The best remedy is to remove the fitting and drill the sprayer holes larger. It doesn't change the effectiveness of it as it still sprays water at the high end.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water