Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Blind spot detection.

Noticed on newer car there is a blind spot detection that flashes on outside mirrors when there is a vehicle in your blind spot. Just wondering if there is anything out there for RV use.

Gene
Geneb1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't have a blind spot. Between the convex and down the side big mirrors, I can see very well. If I want to double check, I look at the screen at what the camera shows.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Blind spot detection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneb1737 View Post
.........blind spot detection that flashes on outside mirrors when there is a vehicle in your blind spot...

I haven't heard of a system for large MH, but someone will sell it if there's a profit.

But on cars it's just marketing. Nice sales gimmick, but pointless waste of money. Designed so that oblivious drivers can continue to be careless but still feel good about themselves. If you have proper mirrors, properly adjusted, there are no side blind spots on a car. You simply must pay attention. Period.

The same holds true on a MH, with a couple of exceptions. With the large flat and convex mirrors on a MH, you will have no side blind spots IF you add a Fresnel lens low on the passenger side window directly across from the driver. However, there will still be areas close in front and close at the rear not visible to the coach operator without large, obtrusive mirror assemblies, and/or a second fresnel lens mounted low on the windshield near the center. These are the places where electronic detection could be valued.

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
If your mirrors are adjusted correctly, you should not have a "blind spot".

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #5

The primary function of so-called blind spot detection gadgets on new cars is to alert the obliviot (oblivious idiot) drivers to look up from their cell phones to see there are other cars in the vicinity.
For Motorcoaches, the "new" thing seems to be side view cameras. There are numerous threads here on the pros and cons. Some like them, some think they are just distracting.
My blind spot detection device is the DW sitting in the co-pilot seat.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #6

So much hate for something that could stop a potential accident? Sure the same was said for power steering and power brakes when they came out!!! Who hasn't gone to change lanes and been surprised to find somehow a car was there? I watch my mirrors constantly no matter what I drive and this has happened to me more than once.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

I think if you Google "blind spot detection systems". You will find quite a few. I think they are great ideas
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have had side cameras on the last two coaches...never use them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
If your mirrors are adjusted correctly, you should not have a "blind spot".

AMEN! Tom, you are absolutely 100% correct! I have NEVER understood why people just accept the fact that there is a so-called "blind spot" near the sides of their car. If you have a "blind spot" then you don't have you mirrors adjusted properly.

On your car you have THREE rear view mirrors. I have found that most drivers adjust them so they all look in the same place - directly behind them. Why?

Obviously the inside mirror has to look straight back. However, I set my left and right side mirrors look directly into the so-called "blind spot." Consequently, I do not have any "blind spot" when driving my cars. When a car passes me, I can see it in the inside rear view mirror as he comes up behind me. As he starts to pass, I will see him appear on the left side mirror before I lose sight of him in the inside mirror. I will then see him directly in my peripheral vision next to me before he disappears in the left mirror. No blind spot!

On the coach the situation is somewhat different because we cannot see straight behind us with a mirror. However, you can and should adjust your side mirrors to you don't have a blind spot beside your coach. Between the big adjustable mirrors and the convex mirror on the bottom, I cam see everywhere around my coach while on the highway. No blind spot there, either.

2006 Mandalay 40E
Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #10

We have a Vorad radar system on our coach. This has blind spot detection, adaptive cruise control, and anti-collision warning. Better systems are available today.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB-One View Post
We have a Vorad radar system on our coach. This has blind spot detection, adaptive cruise control, and anti-collision warning. Better systems are available today.
That's because you live in a "castle"
Just drive like there's someone next to you. When you start moving over, they'll get out of the way or get crushed.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

Maybe "blind spot" was not the most accurate term to use when I posted this. To me an indicator to let me know a vehicle is along side would an assistance. I sometime drive solo and and could use some extra help at times.
Geneb1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone who says there is no blind spot is blind

There are however cameras that can make them very very very small. They work with your Rear View system.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Anyone who says there is no blind spot is blind

There are however cameras that can make them very very very small. They work with your Rear View system.

X 2, or 3, maybe 4.