Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Soft ground or asphalt is a must of course. Usually not needed on concrete. Gravel usually I use unless very compacted. Some venues require no matter what their surface.

Blocks can be needed for leveling. I carry several homemade blocks 12"x12"x2.5" thick. Also a couple larger to use under the front tires if needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #16

The jack foot print is probably larger then the tires contact patch.

If the tires are not sinking, the jacks shouldn't.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #17

Pads are important. I learned the hard way. Small rocks get on top of your leveling leg then when u raise the leg the rock can damage your seal. I now have a leaky seal. Rock was stuck into seal.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Snap Pads, simple and easy to install and your done.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
I have 13” square pads I use on any soft ground. If it looks like I may lift the tires of the ground to get level I use leveling blocks under the tires and an equal number of blocks under the jacks to prevent over extension of the jacks.
Exactly how I use my blocks
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I often wonder why the stabilizers don't come with larger pads. The jack footprint just seems so small that we always use "boards" under the legs. Why not manufacturer the stabilizers with a larger pad that swivels?
Big D,
I'm pretty sure you already know this but, unless there's a form of a ball type attachment from the jack leg to the jack foot, (our '04 Itasca Horizon has such a connection), the larger the foot, the more potential for breakage of the foot attachment if it's solid, as some are. I agree it would be nice if the pads were larger, to help displace the load. Guess that's one reason why many of us carry home made or store bought pads.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The jack foot print is probably larger then the tires contact patch.

If the tires are not sinking, the jacks shouldn't.
You are correct, but for us it never seems to work out that way. Maybe the rubber in the tires "bounces" you back to the surface and they don't sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Big D,
I'm pretty sure you already know this but, unless there's a form of a ball type attachment from the jack leg to the jack foot, (our '04 Itasca Horizon has such a connection), the larger the foot, the more potential for breakage of the foot attachment if it's solid, as some are. I agree it would be nice if the pads were larger, to help displace the load. Guess that's one reason why many of us carry home made or store bought pads.
Scott

We normally use 1 - 1/2 inch thick 15 X 15 inch boards we carry, along with larger lumber to use under the tires if needed. One time we were parked at a ski area one very cold night. The lot was brand spanking new and crushed rock surface. I had 12 X 12 plywood under the stabilizer legs. During the night the coach suddenly lurched and the next morning I found both of the rear legs had broken through the frozen crushed rock base and sunk about 6 inches into the parking lot. I had a heck of a time chiseling out the stabilizer leg/pad the next day before I could retract the legs. I was unable to retrieve the 12 x 12's , and to this day they are still buried in that parking lot.

As my granddaughter said that day, "you guys sure have neat adventures Pop Pop". Of course she wasn't the one digging through frozen ground!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #22

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

My project this weekend will be to make some pads.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #23

[QUOTE=FIRE UP;3832867]Gregg,
The use of blocks under jacks, has more than just one purpose. Depending on how large the blocks are, in regards to the size of the feet on the jacks, if the blocks are larger, then they provide a larger foot print and divide the total weight of each jack into more surface area which, "spreads the load" so to speak. And yes, there are certain camp grounds/RV parks that require them. Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams AZ is one that comes to mind. They have a very nice park, with very nice spaces. They don't want a bunch of dimples all over them.

The Grand Canyon Railway RV park is a very nice, but be sure to bring your earplugs because the active rail line runs just behind it. Thought the diesel engine was coming through the bedroom at 3:00 am
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Gregg,
The use of blocks under jacks, has more than just one purpose. Depending on how large the blocks are, in regards to the size of the feet on the jacks, if the blocks are larger, then they provide a larger foot print and divide the total weight of each jack into more surface area which, "spreads the load" so to speak. And yes, there are certain camp grounds/RV parks that require them. Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams AZ is one that comes to mind. They have a very nice park, with very nice spaces. They don't want a bunch of dimples all over them.

The second reason for the use of blocks is, the decreased travel the jacks have before reaching a point at which they start to lift the coach and, STABILIZATION! The longer the jack travels before it touches ground, the less stable that jack is. The less distance it travels, the more stable it is. So, by using them, you've sort of "Killed two birds" with one stone, as the old cliche reads. Other than the requirements of certain campgrounds/RV parks, it's totally preferential. I have no problem putting blocks down. To me, it's quite easy.
Scott
ME TO. and especially if its a gravel, hard pack or asphalt pad
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
KEH

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Gregg,

The second reason for the use of blocks is, the decreased travel the jacks have before reaching a point at which they start to lift the coach and, STABILIZATION! The longer the jack travels before it touches ground, the less stable that jack is. The less distance it travels, the more stable it is. So, by using them, you've sort of "Killed two birds" with one stone, as the old cliche reads. Other than the requirements of certain campgrounds/RV parks, it's totally preferential. I have no problem putting blocks down. To me, it's quite easy.
Scott
x2 exactly my approach.
Fulltimer's - Class of 2014
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Gregg,

Scott
X3 on stabilization from less extension. Only time we *may* not use them is if we are on a level pad that is either concrete or flat/level gravel when doing a quick overnight to sleep between destinations. If actually camping we almost always use the blocks for stabilization.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #27

Just about every time.
I built some out of wolmanized 3/4 inch plywood (top and bottom) and a 2 by 12 piece. 1 foot square and 2 feet long.
I use the longer ones on soft ground or to level a wheel some.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #28

X 4,5, or 6 for stabilization. Right now I carry 4x4x12s, 2x10x12s and 2x10x28s in case I have to raise the tires by a ramp rather than walking it up. I have 4x8s and 2x10x8s that all four put the jack plates within 3/4 inch if being level in my driveway. The pads are less than 1 inch above the pads and the coach rise to level is less than 2 inches.

After the Paris Mountain debacle, one thing I need to add are some short chains to cage the front springs to make it easier to block the front wheels for additional support

Tags
jacks