Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
RV tires are good for 5 or 6 years. How many more years do you want to extend your tire life??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

That's a good question.

Here in the South my tire dealer recommends that at 5 years you trade them in for resale to trucking companies that will finish them off before they get to 6 years of age. That way you can get some money back from the remainig tread. Beyond that the chances of a separation and blowout are just too great. Sun and heat just eat up tires in the Sunshine State.

Regards,

Neil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2006, 05:08 PM   #16

Us cement stepping stones when at home, under all tires. Cut wood board,s under tires, and jacks well on road.
aerbus gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Us cement stepping stones when at home </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The idea is to protect against cement/concrete or other common parking surfaces leeching the moisture out of your tires ...concrete is one of the worst parking surfaces for that. Wood is better, and something impervious to moisture is better yet.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #18

AFChap, I can remember hearing something about concrete was not a good surface to park on for long periods. So what do you use when parked on concrete ?

2009 Crossroads Zinger pulled by a 2013 Chevy 4X4 Pickup. R.I.P. Kendall 3/17/2011
Two Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what do you use when parked on concrete ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Go back to page one of this discussion ...my original answer was in message #2 in the thread ...details are there. There is also good info in other messages there.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what do you use when parked on concrete ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's what AFChap uses.....me too!!

Landing Strips by Ranger Design
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #21

Appalachian Campers
I use 16" flat patio paving stones I bought at Lowes, when the rig is parked at home. 1 for each front tire, and 4 for each set of rear duals. Keeps it up off the ground, gives me something to "edge" to when trimming, and at 1 1/2" thick making solid ground contact, there is not enough cement there to make moisture drain from the tires an issue. They only cost 3 bucks apeice, and as long as you take your time cutting off the 16 x 16 grass mat and ensuring that the paver is level and fully supported by earth below with no voids, they hold up really well.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #22

This is a interesting topic.It got me to think'in would'nt a couple sandbag's with a vaporbarrier work well, aswell as dispersing the weight evenly over a larger area? just a thought ...ole member 1st post..amos
amoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #23

Good Evening--

I must jump in here...

The vapor barrier under the tires is for those

tires with steel belts.

It is NOT for preventing leaching of anything

FROM the tires, but rather to prevent moisture

from the parking spot surface from ENTERING the

tire..tire rubber is like a sponge and water, or

rather, moisture can get into the tire carcass

body...the steel belts can begin to rust...

the result is early tire failure.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:28 PM   #24

Well after reading everyones answers, I decided to go to Wally World and bought 6 15x20 poly cutting boards. A little pricey @ $9.97 ea. but they fit well in the cargo bay. Decided against the Landing Strips, as I read some posts on cracking, we will see how these hold up. Thanks for everyone's comments.

2009 Crossroads Zinger pulled by a 2013 Chevy 4X4 Pickup. R.I.P. Kendall 3/17/2011
Two Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is NOT for preventing leaching of anything FROM the tires, but rather to prevent moisture from the parking spot surface from ENTERING the tire.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is not what career tire industry people have told me. I believe I have also read it on tire mfg web sites. Just this morning, one stated in an RVSEF seminar "when you park on concrete, the concrete leaches moisture out of your tires." I've been told the same by others in the past. They also say that asphalt is similar but not as much so. Have you ever parked on concrete and when you moved the vehicle later seen the imprint of the tire left on the smooth concrete surface?? ...that was not caused by moisture soaking into the tire from the concrete ...it is from moisture moving from the tire TO the concrete. They all recommend parking on a vapor barrier to prevent the asphalt or concrete from leaching moisture out of the tires ...plastic, plywood, rubber mats, etc.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #26

Paul--

Good evening.

Here's a link:

http://www.shadetreemechanic.com/ranger_design.htm

Reading through the descriptor, you'll find
that the text states that moisture goes from
the parking spot surface and INTO the tire.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here's a link: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I'm familiar with Ranger Design's website and their statements. And I own a set of their Landing Strips (...BTW the "durable" material they are made of became brittle and started self-destructing after about 12-14 months of use so I'll be replacing them with something that will hold up better...). I understand that if water moisture gets to the steel belts, that could cause problems, but I am not ready to accept Ranger Design as a more authoritative expert on tires that the many career tire industry folks I have heard make the statement about concrete leaching the moisture out. Just call me hard-headed I guess...
Old 04-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #28

I use a 1/2 " thick rubber truck bed mat that I got pretty cheap at a yard sale. I cut it to size for the rear duals and front. Works great. Rubber on rubber. Makes sense to me.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote