Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #1

Blow outs-How common?

From reading the various RV forums, one would believe that motorhomes routinely experience tire blow outs. But how common is it really? Are there people out there that have motorhomed for years and never experienced a blow out?
Stanwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had my own RV'S since 1968 and have never had a blowout on one and only 1 on a car.
Parents had multiple blowouts on their first TT, but it was overloaded when it came from the factory.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #3

I haven't had a blow out. I keep the tire pressures up as much as I can and try not to hit curbs.

A friend put a new set of Michelins on his class C and parked it for a year. He then took it a few hundred miles and had 2 blowouts. I don't know what was the cause.
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #4

Last blow out I experienced, I was about 16-17 years old in an old car with bald tires on gravel roads.
In today's world if you have the proper rated tire for your application, maintain the correct tire pressure based on the weight of your rig, don't let them sit in the sun and rot without cover and don't bounce off curbs, your chances of a blowout are slim to none.
Good tire maintenance is the key.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:16 AM   #5

Had a blowout on a car, 35 years a ago, none since.

I did have some 7 year old tires fail on my MH. When getting underway, in GA, I would feel a slight shake in the steering, like we lost a balance weight. It went away in a few minutes, so it wasn't balance.
Headed to a tire dealer and we pulled them off and found cord separation. Replaced the 2 front that day.

2 months latter we felt a shake in the rear. Found a tire shop, in PA to change the 4 rear. The separation was obivious on them.

I think the key to handling tire failure is prevention. You will not know when every tire failure is comming but being aware of any changes in the ride should be cause for alarm.

I don't check my tire pressure every day, but do look at them at every stop. Even the duals get a look from a distance. A different gap between the right set and left set will tell you something is wrong.

If you need to " air up " any tire, more then once a month, get it fixed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
while not an RV I drove semi for 20 years and over 1 million miles and can count on 1 hand the number or actual blow outs that I had.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Just a thought.........when you see a tire skin/or blow out along the interstate, think of how many semi's/Coach's/RV's/auto's have passed there at that point...........
Tire failures/blow outs happen across the board of all sized and manufacture's...........just as anything can fail at any time as we know. But the word "Common" , I would not say............and the percentage rate across the board is low when looking at the aver all picture.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #8

Flats, yes. Actual blowouts, 1, and that's when I had a fifth wheel rolling along on China Bombs.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Just a thought.........when you see a tire skin/or blow out along the interstate, think of how many semi's/Coach's/RV's/auto's have passed there at that point...........
Tire failures/blow outs happen across the board of all sized and manufacture's...........just as anything can fail at any time as we know. But the word "Common" , I would not say............and the percentage rate across the board is low when looking at the aver all picture.
It's my understanding that Semi's use recapped tires and that's what you see lying all over the highway. RV's use new manufactured tires, not recaps. They treads don't separate from the core the way the recaps do. RV Blow outs are rare if tires are properly maintained.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #10

Most blowout that you read about could have been prevented. Proper inflation is one of the most important things you can do. Using a TPMS will warn you if tire inflation drops below a certain level giving you time to correct the problem before a blowout.
Changing out your tires at five or six years, regardless of how the look, is important. Ocassinally inspecting the tires for bulges, cracks or other oddities.
All of this does not guarantee that you will never have a blowout. Things like road debris or a tire defect can still happen. However these do not happen often.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
We've been RVing for 6 years & had a devastating "RV totaling" blow out (front passenger side) on our first trip with our "new to us" coach. 60 mph, tires were only a year old & air pressure was checked & good, debris on the road was the cause. First & hopefully last blow out, Safe-T-Plus installed on new coach just in case...
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post
We've been RVing for 6 years & had a devastating "RV totaling" blow out (front passenger side) on our first trip with our "new to us" coach. 60 mph, tires were only a year old & air pressure was checked & good, debris on the road was the cause. First & hopefully last blow out, Safe-T-Plus installed on new coach just in case...
Happy to hear you were not injured. Out of curiosity, what was the debris on the road that caused your tire blow out? Something unseen? Unavoidable?
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #13

I think many "Tire failure" incidents are the result and fault of the vehicle owner. We have become complacent about tires because we spend most of our driving time behind the wheel of our cars, which typically are running on tires that are very forgiving.

However, the RV tires used on motorhomes and travel/fifth-wheel trailers are a completley different breed. They require very specific inflation pressures based on specific load factors that may not be realized as a result of inattention by their owners. I have read that most RV accidents are the result of overloading. Often that overloading is the cause of RV tire failure.

Each morning before my rig ever moves, I utilize my laptop and tire factor software to get information as to tire pressure and TPMS alarm settings based on the weather conditions of that travel day. Prior to this regime, I had a blow-out on my motorhome that could have been deadly. It took that incident for me to wake-up and get a TPMS system to monitor tire running condition and to check tire pressure before starting any days travel.
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post

Have you seen this video?

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote