Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 10:15 PM   #1

Blown Diesel Engine in Everett, WA

I'm not sure if I should post this here or not at all.

I'm John and we are broken down in Everett, WA (we are both in our seventies). In 2017 we bought an older motorhome. My wife is having health problems. Our son and I decided I should get a motorhome so she could get out and visit the grand kids and see the country. We had a few wonderful trips and one not so much.
On this trip we were planning on going to the Seattle area to see my daughter and her family. Well that didn't happen because of the blowout. The youngest grandson was there for his Birthday and we weren't (the other is stationed in Korea). The blowout set us back a day and we missed it. We arrived at the campground and found out we had an oil leak, looked like a valve cover leak. My son in law and I attempted to repair it to no avail. Thought we could make it to Portland where we had a week scheduled (I had planned to redo the floor). On the trip everything seemed fine. About 120 miles south of Seattle the motorhome just quit while we were going up a hill and wouldn't start. We go a tow with our towing provider to the Everett dealer of our engine manufacture. They thought it was a bad starter, causing an electrical short. They put in a new starter and it didn't start. After diagnosing the problem they figured the turbo charger shaft broke ($2300.00 for the estimate and starter). They told us for $10,000 the could tear into it to see what else was wrong. I'm in the process of looking for a second opinion. We are staying in a motel as there are no hook ups in the parking lot where it is parked.
We pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that we would need to let the motorhome go.
Now to the reason of this post. Yesterday I was showing the motorhome to a guy when I noticed, someone was in the rig. I haven't done a complete inventory, but it looks like they took a bunch of electronics and tools. They took a pair of my cowboy boots and worst of all they took my wife's mobility scooter (she is confined to a wheel chair).
[Mod Edit]
Just_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 06:26 AM   #2

"They thought it was a bad starter, causing an electrical short. They put in a new starter and it didn't start. After diagnosing the problem they figured the turbo charger shaft broke ($2300.00 for the estimate and starter). They told us for $10,000 the could tear into it to see what else was wrong."

"Yesterday I was showing the motorhome to a guy when I noticed, someone was in the rig. I haven't done a complete inventory, but it looks like they took a bunch of electronics and tools. They took a pair of my cowboy boots and worst of all they took my wife's mobility scooter (she is confined to a wheel chair)."

Sounds like you need to get out of that shop asap. They obviously have no idea what they are doing if they go from saying it's a starter to now a turbo issue. Add to that that they are ransacking your coach. You need to call local law enforecement about the theft.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #3

JUST JOHN....I believe I would make a police report before I left. You are hooked up with a bunch of thieves. The prices are highway robbery. MOMCAT
Old 10-25-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
What engine? They don't know the difference between a starter and a turbo? Get it out of there. Seattle area has plenty of diesel repairs.

Who was this person you were showing the MH to? Shop foreman? Guy off the street?

120 miles South of Seattle and they towed you to Everett?! That would put you near Kelso/Longview and with maybe a shop to look at you there. Even so it is only 50 miles to Portland.

Someone screwed you.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Unlikely the issue is on turbo. Engine will start up fine but you are going to feel the lack of power on climbing hills if turbo is shot.

Agree with others don't let the shop work on it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #6

Week from Hell Update

Well things just keep getting weirder and weirder. For those who have been following my original post you saw how things went from bad to worse. Still in a hole but more optimistic. I found a Mobile Mechanic who is working with me. He's and old guy whos been at it a while. He's as dumb founded as me. Well I got sick and tired of not doing anything. So I pulled the valve cover. Now I have been under a lot of covers. This one was the cleanest I have ever experienced. No build up, no filings nothing. This is where it gets weird. I garbed the first set of valves and the block was loose. Eureka, Something wrong! I started checking around and damned if all 6 are loose. The bolts I can remove with my fingers. They all seem in about the same position. It's like someone got in there and loosened them up. Told you it was weird. The only thing I can come up with is someone didn't tighten them up and they just vibrated loose. The push rods all look straight and all of the springs are tight and the same height. Boy am I confused.

So does anyone have a clue, o heck a hair brain idea? I plan on torqueing them down and see what happens. If it starts then I can get a Turbo and maybe get out of this town.

On the police front, the cop doesn't give much hope on finding my wife's scooter or any thing else.

Life is grand.

John
Old 10-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #7

Indeed, this is a weird situation.

You didn’t mention setting the valve clearances, but that’s assumed, right? What you found certainly could be the cause, but it’s still not clear why you need a turbo. Your symptoms were not consistent with a bad turbo and you phrased the shop conclusion that it had a broken shaft in an odd way. If you do have that shop replace the turbo, be certain you see the old part.

Keep the updates coming, and here’s hoping you found the problem.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #8

More update

I'm sorry I didn't point this out before. That is a Helix Coil. I can just un screw it. No lock tight involved. I'm checking the rest of the bolts tomorrow. Never seen a Helix Coil stripped. The engine is a 8.3-325 and it turns over well. All I have right now is Lash. I don't think the valves are being compressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt w Coil.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	347425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heli Coil.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	347426  

Name:	IMG_0332.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	347427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	347428  

Name:	IMG_0334.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	347429  
Old 10-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

Turbo

If turbo is bad....Make sure it is intact. If it is not...The pieces will have to be found or flushed out of the engine. innercooler and oil. Be careful. Your old timer will know this, The other clowns won't. Good luck!! MOMCAT
Old 10-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #10

You are right, that is one very, very clean valve train!

I cannot see clearly into the bolt hole in your picture, but can you see the remnant of the Helicoil that is still in the bolt hole? Too bad it's simply not loose bolts, but from your previous description, it now makes sense why all rocker bolts were loose.

And I concur with momcat regarding the turbo. Still suspicious of the diagnosis.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #11

If thread inserts were used it's pretty short for the amount of threads I imagine that were original. Also O.D. seems small for an insert. I have seen bolts strip out base material and look like that.
Are all the bolts pulled out of these, not sure of proper term.
They make deeper thread inserts that may have larger O.D. They are specialty item would need to be ordered with special tools. Real Heli coils take least amount of material away from original material but not the best or strongest, deeper Heli coil brand can be bugger to install because they are a like a spring.
Also hard to imagine a reason for even one to be stripped in the first place. It doesn't take much to open a valve.
I wish you luck to get to the bottom of this and get back on the road.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It looks to me like the rocker shaft pedestal bolts were overtorqued, and the threads have pulled out of the head.

Only 2 repair options are to replace the head, or install "Keensert" thread repair kits in each hole. Best done with the head removed and stripped so it can be properly cleaned after the repair. Sorry, but that's the hard fact.

Lots of chance to inspect the turbo while the top end is apart.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_John View Post
I'm sorry I didn't point this out before. That is a Helix Coil. I can just un screw it. No lock tight involved. I'm checking the rest of the bolts tomorrow. Never seen a Helix Coil stripped. The engine is a 8.3-325 and it turns over well. All I have right now is Lash. I don't think the valves are being compressed.
I also believe, no heli-coil but alu head remainings being over-torqued. Which could be easily verified by removing them. Heli-coil like a spring.
I drilled all my heli-coils without removing the head. If you do it very careful, with drill oil and a good vacuumer, it helps saving a lot of $$$.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #14

Rocker stand bolts

From what I can see....I would really consider using studs with new heli coils and RED loctite. The nuts will not have to be torqued as much as a bolt. The stud will hold the pressure from the valve and push rod very well. Of course the stud will have to be torqued, but not like a bolt. Just thinking. MOMCAT