Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #15

Try a pneumatic impact wrench.

Just pop the trigger, it will either work or not, it will cause the nut to turn on bolt, but holding fir more than less than a second will make things bad.

Oil it first, then give it a then give it a shot, have done this many times, good luck
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #16

As suggested earlier, I would first jack the frame up to meet the bracket to relieve the pressure on the bolt. You could get two jam nuts (Jam nuts are half as thick as normal nuts) to use as lock nuts when you turn the main nut. Lock them in place at the bottom of the bolt, not against the main nut. I would apply some heavy duty lock tight for bolts so it doesn't vibrate loose again. Using the jam nuts would prevent you from damaging the threads, remove them when you're done or tighten them against the main bolt so it doesn't vibrate loose, then you can forget about the lock tight.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Body attachment bolt loose on chassis

I soaked the bolt with lock ez over several days, jammed the space between the bolt washer plate and chassis bracket and then used my pneumatic gun. The nut would not budge, possibly due to the bent bolt shaft adding extra resistance. The house body sits on the frame properly so I cut slots in two washers and hammered them between the chassis bracket and bolt washer type plate filling the gap nicely. Considering the body is now secured tightly using the washers, I figured I would be better off to leave well enough alone. The only problem left was to keep the washers from vibrating out. I decided to start simple so used a large nylon tie strap around the outside of the washers. I will be monitoring the repair during the next trip. If it starts to work loose again, I will try the two jam nuts suggestion from Don and Barb.

I received a lot of good ideas from this thread. Thanks to everybody for your input. Very much appreciated.

Knightly
2007 Itasca 35A, W24. Toad - 2007 HHR, 2007 Goldwing
Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, repair